• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Rogue goes under the knife

sar4x4

My Nissan Rogue is going in for some surgery.  She's 10 years old, with just under 200k km (Not many miles..).  And has seen some rough roads.  (And a Rally or two perhaps? lol)  No rust (annual application of Krown), and no major replacements other than the usual exhaust (once?) and brakes.  And a battery, and a couple of front? wheel bearings until I purchased good ones, (forget the name at the moment, SKS?)  And one alternator.  No water pumps, starters, anti-lock brake this or that, blower motors, power door locks, etc. 

Until now.

The sub-frame bushings are SHOT!..  And they didn't make a peep until a 'few' months ago, when they must have darn near disintegrated.  When hitting a pot hole, I can darn near hear metal-on-metal!  Dealer wants over $2k for a new sub-frame, installed.  Or over $1k for a used one from Vance Haynes (low mileage).  Nissan only sells new bushings already INSTALLED in a new sub-frame. Go figure.  They want you t buy a new vehicle, of course.

So I went on-line. It appears to be a COMMON problem in at least some Nissan uni-bodies, particularly the Rogue class.  So much so the aftermarket (Dorman, for one) makes replaceable bushings!  $40. !!!

I tend NOT to do any major or minor surgery to my daily drivers.  Just to my 'classics'.  (Axles, transmissions, never ending list of starters, etc.)  So, the dealer is charging me piece rate by-the-book for re- and re- on the sub-frame and hourly on the bushings and any thing else ad-hoc that comes up.  Estimated at under $1k.

Surgery date is May 21/22.  Includes an oil change, lube, and filter, 'Bronze' car wash (I have it done every year after the winter, the interior kind of sucks.....) and alignment.

We shall see.  I don't need a new car with Lane Departure Warning, and a bunch of other gadgets.  And I don't need someone else's used car.  My heated seats and engine, transmission and AWD work just great!

And I want to spend my money on TRUCK parts………….. lol.

Oh, I digress.  Time for bed.

Holy cow ... it is really unfortunate how vehicles are designed to be disposable these days.

A friend of mine had a Chevrolet small something something car - had an issue with bushings in the rear end and had to replace the entire rear suspension setup - a-arms, the whole lot. There were not even after market options available for the bushings.

I wish things were made like they were used to. Where a washer and dryer would last for 20+ years and when they broke they could be fixed using a paper clip and string. Nothing is that way any more - one circuit board goes and you need a new oven. /rant

12 hours ago, jay said:

A 1k investment really stings, but if the rest of the car is in good order, I'd say it's worth spending the money. I'd hate to have payments again.

The rest of the car is in great order, I expect to drive it at my current rate for many years to come.  Unless I get old man fever and buy a Chevy Colorado AEV/Bison edition or whatever it’s called!

Nice!

Archived