• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

89 Runner Build

89runner

11 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Looks really good in the pics!! Also, great idea to cover up the shop like that. Time to prep, but worth saving the mess on everything after.

Thank you! Same plastic I used when I painted last time in my last spot. Bit of paint on the floor but no where else! I painted in a shop once that I didn’t mask and anything that didn’t have a heavy layer of dust on it got painted  

7 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Shiney!  Not so good in the woods???

Same paint I used the last time. Holds up to tree limbs decently and I prepped to paint knowing I was going to scratch it up therefore didn’t get fussy. Lots of little dents and scratches showing through. I bought 1 gal of paint when I first painted it and still have about 1/4 left. Spent significantly less this way than rattle cans and it holds up decently. When I sprayed it blue back in 09 I used enamel and no clear and it was really cheap! The urethane starts off really shiny but dulls also since I don’t clear it. If there is a next time I will try another color altogether!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 89runner said:

anything that didn’t have a heavy layer of dust on it got painted

I learned this lesson in the spring. I used a couple of spray bombs to paint my mower deck ... you can see a fine yellow dust on darker objects in my garage lol

• Haha 1

Ahh, urethane.  I forget what type is on the ‘Burb.  Same idea.  Holds up really really well not showing scrapes.  It is Rustoleum brand.  I couldn’t get my gun to work well (I really know NOTHING about spraying) so I rolled it on!  I’m still happy with it!

And it’s ‘Old Caterpillar Yellow’, of course.  🤪

• Like 2

On 6/14/2022 at 12:37 PM, sar4x4 said:

Ahh, urethane.  I forget what type is on the ‘Burb.  Same idea.  Holds up really really well not showing scrapes.  It is Rustoleum brand.  I couldn’t get my gun to work well (I really know NOTHING about spraying) so I rolled it on!  I’m still happy with it!

And it’s ‘Old Caterpillar Yellow’, of course.  🤪

This is only the fourth time I’ve painted, 3rd on this truck haha. Youtube has helped improve my work over the past couple jobs haha. Paint society has some really good content on gun cleaning and setup. I never cleaned my gun properly ever so it doesn't spray well anymore. 

On 6/14/2022 at 12:41 PM, sar4x4 said:

And of course when rolling it on there is no worry about overspray! 👌

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a roll on job! With a high density roller some guys make it look like a spray even. This is too nice a paint for what I do with truck but I had it already and easier to not change. Next time it won’t be metallic.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, sar4x4 said:

👍.  Do you work for others?  I’m a fussy old bastard though…. Lol. 

I missed this post! Sometimes I do but mostly for family at rates that can’t be complained over haha. I can be too fussy myself sometimes and many wouldn’t want to pay for the number of hours it takes when being fussy haha. I guess that is why I don’t pay for much work either.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2022 at 5:05 PM, sar4x4 said:

👍.  Do you work for others?  I’m a fussy old bastard though…. Lol. 

A couple winters back my uncle and I redid his Miata. There was a fair bit of body work and a few mechanical bits to address on this build. It went from all chalky white to modern (mazda) grey metallic and black (mazda) on the hard top and side mirrors. Also installed a one piece replacement soft top. Doesn’t have much ground clearance so we kept it on the pavement afterwards haha. 

B42C1CE7-45F7-4D7F-B51E-0EFDF8029E76.jpeg

5822A101-3ACA-45E0-901F-8168E450D4DA.jpeg

B85E49CA-FEA2-46D0-A764-5ECFE664A158.jpeg

40A7DB6A-F5B0-4FC1-AB8F-6A33D52C5C8A.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/21/2022 at 11:25 AM, autumnwalker said:

The Miata looks great! Sometimes I miss mine ... and then I remember that I didn't really fit in it.

The two of us going up the road in that miata mustve looked hilarious lol

• 11 months later...
On 6/27/2023 at 8:12 AM, SQRLPWR said:

good to hear from you Paul!!

I see the jack, presumably you're going to need some extra lift to fit those bad boys?

I’ve got the hubs at center of tire opening in photo. The rear should be fine from the “clearancing” I did to the body. I removed pinch weld up front and am hopeful it will fit. My wheels just came in, had to get 17’s as 37” tires aren’t available for 15” anymore. Ordered from Canada wheels and had them very fast. 

I have been waiting on these tires for about 2 years now. The date on the sidewall indicates they we made in May of this year. They smell fresh too haha. 

• Like 2