• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

New to trucks and off roading

R3vMaster

Hi all, my name is Roy and I live in the tantallon area.

Finally bought my first truck, although it's an SUV. Got a 97 Suburban 350 vortec. Got it as a bit if a project vehicle and just this week got it up to snuff and registered and MVI'd. I plan to use it for camping and hauling but also some light off roading for now, and in the future swap in a dana 60 front and lift it 4-6 inches with 35-37" tires, nothing too crazy. 

Looking to get out and give it a shake down on some easier trails and see how the truck and I do. Dont have a lot of time between having a young child and other hobbies but definitely want to get out and find some good spots to get it a bit dirty. 

Hey Roy welcome to Backcountry, you're at the right place 🙂

Sounds like you've got some fun work ahead of you. I'm also starting on a similar build with my '92 Exploder, although my plan is to keep my build TTB just to be different....for now.

We've got a mighty 'burb build on here, I'm hoping Eugene will pipe up and show you his rig for some inspiration 😉

We have a good no-BS crew here....have monthly club runs and weekly coffee nights around the HRM, so that's probably a good place for you to start.

Welcome R3vMaster!  Burbans are welcome!  Not many solid-axle ones are around anymore, nor solid axle swap (sas) ones.  That would be nice to see.  Lots of full-size and GM rig experience on here as well.  As Tom says, pics are good!

Couple from today, the forum won't let me upload directly so hopefully these work

20190410_102141.jpg

20190410_102428.jpg

Not yet confident enough to have taken it down that hill, I went a bit further up the road past the open gate. I'm sure some people here will be familiar with the area. I didn't see any signs that it is not to be used recreationally so I gave it a bit of a run. 

2 minutes ago, jay said:

where was it?

probably a good call when ur on your own with snow, no winch and street tires 🙂

That was my thoughts. I knew I could get down but getting back up is another story. That was the powerline just off exit 5a hwy 103. 

Ah ... that is likely due to a very large file size that you are trying to upload.

I'm going to be moving the board to a new server soonish so the issue will likely be resolved at that time. In the meantime, if you shrink your photo pre upload it should work fine.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
19 hours ago, R3vMaster said:

That's actually a lot nicer than mine, I'd feel bad thrashing that truck. 

Iv got the pair of them for sale for $2850, the second sub is pretty solid too, both 350 vortex, blue one still on the road, parts truck could be put on the road.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:33 AM, Powerram said:

Iv got the pair of them for sale for $2850, the second sub is pretty solid too, both 350 vortex, blue one still on the road, parts truck could be put on the road.

Sounds like a good deal, if they were square bodies I'd be getting my hands on some cash but between this burban and the wife's Disco, no new projects for quite a while. 

Archived