• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Vehicle Inspection question (modified vehicle)

Nightpath

Seeing as my inspection is coming up soon on my Eagle, I need to make sure that I'm dealing with the least amount of hassle possible.

Essentially I swapped my transmission and transfer case from the original to an AW4 and NP242. I was chatting with a guy who does inspections today getting my wife's vehicle done and I asked him about it. He said that he doesn't want his inspection ticket pulled for inspecting my car, but the vehicle isn't lifted, I just swapped out my transmission and transfer case (and put in a newer Inline 6 that wasn't worn out). I know technically that it's modified, but a bolt in transmission and transfer-case isn't a real change to it. It would take a keen eye to noticed that it isn't stock.

Anyone have experience on this? 

I would not consider that modified, it is still configured the same as before, inline 6 , trans and t-case. Good to go, that isn't a modified car. You are over thinking the safety insp, its a $30 fee that a shop has to spend 30 min on. They loose money on that. Every older car has upgrades , example, my 67 mustang, swapped out points for electronic ignition, swapped 3speed auto out for an auto overdrive, are those mods? No, upgrades , yes. I wouldn't have asked the safety inspection tech anything. Worst he could do is inspect it, or tell you he won't. 

I wasn't overthinking it, the guy who does inspections sure was though. I told him the aw4 was basically the 998 evolved and the np242 was just a better 4x4. 

The way he talked my car was some magic infused vunderwagen with the high technology of 2098.

Archived