• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

First time Jeep Owner

flibby

Hey guys, just bought myself a new to me Jeep. 2004 TJ with 4 inch lift, 33" toyo tires and a Trail FX 8000lb winch. Just have a few questions.

First, does anyone have experience or thoughts on the winch, good, bad, it will no doubt be seldom used as I'm more of an overland guy, no mudding or rock crawling for me.

Second, I want to get some tools together, what are some common sizes I should have with me, anything in particular I should carry.

Thirdly, I am thinking the tires are a little more than I need, would it be feasible to consider a trade for something like BFG all terrains or something similar, I really have no idea what these tires are worth or what the general opinion on them are??

I'm sure as I own this a little longer I'll have more questions to come.

2004_tj.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good, and a nice height!

Tires, often you can't get the $ necessary by selling then going back out and buying new.  Wear them out...........  one thought. But they might sell well!

Winch:  I've mostly bought used Warn brand, cleaned them up, repaired, and I am still running them years and decades later!  But if you aren't handy with a wrench and a voltmeter, possibly an inexpensive new one might be suitable for occasional use.

Best of luck and hope to see you on the trails!

I tried the winch and it seemed to work fine, so it will stay for now. Tires also seem to be working out fine, zero to 60 sometimes :) braking could be better too and I'm thinking it has the stock gearing.

Be some time before I am on the trails, laying in a hospital bed after having my 2nd back surgery, sucks big time as I just bought the Jeep 😞 but I'll be healed up before I know it and be doing some "light" off roading soon.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

I'm home, off work (sick leave),  not allowed to drive.  But I feel great, wife drives me everywhere. 

I'm not complaining too loudly!

lol, this might sound sick but I'd rather be working :)

This is my second back surgery since 2013 and it really is no fun.

Oh, don't get me wrong.  lol  Given a choice, I'd rather skip the whole near-death experience, then the extended laid-up recent!

Although I don't remember the near-death thing, the recovery period is a nuisance.

Archived