• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Hi Everyone

Dan

Hi Everyone, I'm just new to this off road club scene, and relatively new to off roading as a sport/hobby.  I'm looking to meet some like-minded folk, maybe even some folks with similar life styles/responsibilities (you know....kids, spouses, jobs, bills, etc)

I'm trying to figure out exactly where the Rocky Myra run is, and if its suitable for a full size truck?

I'm totally OK with pin stripes...in fact i've received some grief from friends who are little more 'enthusiastic' about paint and cosmetics than I am.  How it looks (scratches, dents, etc) is a discussion I look forward to having with some folks in this group

I was planning to hit a trail tomorrow about 9-930...where is a good point to hit the trail? 

BTW If it's a faux pas to talk about trails, just let me know...not trying to ruffle feathers or create conflict

Screen_Shot_2018-02-23_at_10_27.03_PM.png

1 minute ago, Dan said:

BTW If it's a faux pas to talk about trails, just let me know...not trying to ruffle feathers or create conflict

this is the golden rule - #1 rule about 4x4 trails is you do not talk about 4x4 trails (on the internet).

The next club meeting is March 9 (check out the events forum for info) - you might be able to wrangle up a few rigs to take you out and show you some runs.

I'd like to get a winch for it.  I'd also like to get a roof rack.  And theres a few light mods I'd like to add (mudflaps, rain guards for windows...) but I'd like to see what equipment/mods others find useful before I start throwing money away.  For me, the stock Raptor is pretty well equipped as is...and honestly, I'm not knowledgable enough yet to know what other mods would be a real benefit.  

Welcome to the club :)  look forward to see you out at coffee/on the trail.  

The first mod most people recommend is skid plates.  I havnt seen underneath a Raptor but I'm assuming you are good to go there.   I would also recommend removing your running boards when you go wheeling.  There's always a possibility that you get hung up on them and they will break or get pushed up into the body causing those dents that you were saying you'd rather avoid ( understandably )

After that it depends what you want to do with it.  Mud vs rock crawling vs trails.  Winches are a good investment.  They always come in handy even if not for but to pull someone else out. 

Coffees are Thursdays at 7 and various Tim Hortons, come on out and say hi.  I won't be there for a couple weeks but I'm sure everyone else will be glad to look over a Raptor.  Lol 

Appreciate the suggestions!  The Rap already has a fair bit of armour on the underside (again, being new to wheeling, I don't know how much plating is really required) but I would definitely not have thought to remove the running boards.  There's a fair bit of clearance underneath, but I will def give that some thought; good protection (as you guys have noted) and I'm wondering how it will look without the running boards.  

I've noted the time of the next meeting (Mar 9?) which I will try to attend, if thats OK with the powers-that-be.  

Cheers

D

Welcome to the club! Awesome to see a Raptor! Have been wanting to wheel with one since they came out. 

We have a monthly run that we deem stock capable, as well as coffee nights every thursday. Would be great to see you out with us.

also as mentioned we have a meeting on the ninth at Sobeys community room Larry Uteck area.

The runnings boards seem strong, but I don't know if they would take the weight of the truck (6000 lbs, give or take).  This is another one of those areas where I'm not too knowledgable.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:57 PM, TomWood said:

Welcome to the club! Awesome to see a Raptor! Have been wanting to wheel with one since they came out. 

We have a monthly run that we deem stock capable, as well as coffee nights every thursday. Would be great to see you out with us.

also as mentioned we have a meeting on the ninth at Sobeys community room Larry Uteck area.

And thanks for the invite to the coffee sessions and meeting!  Tried to make it to the coffee this evening...was actually in Bayers Lake for my kids' sports, so I thought I would grab a quick workout at the Goodlife on Lacewood then come to meet you guys.  When i came out of the gym, some &#%#%#% had broken into my truck.  Glass everywhere.  So the rest of my evening was police, very cold driving, and then trying to clean up glass.  Sigh.  

17 hours ago, Dan said:

When i came out of the gym, some &#%#%#% had broken into my truck.  Glass everywhere.  So the rest of my evening was police, very cold driving, and then trying to clean up glass.  Sigh.  

Dude, that sucks. I hope they catch the ****** and you get the truck fixed quickly.

Easy-ish test re: running boards ... when you stand (jump?) on them do they give at all? A solid rock rail won't. It's not the be all-end all of tests, but a quick way to qualify if they are even in the ballpark of being reasonable.

All of the rock slider / rock rails I have had on my trucks would not even slightly deflect when you bounced on them - very solid. And you could put the weight of the truck onto them with a hi-lift or, as you would think, a rock.

Archived