• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Need advice on a Jeep

Nightpath

Ok, I've been contemplating laying up my Eagle so I don't have to keep rushing bits of work and trying to drive it daily.

I've recently come across a Jeep Liberty 65th Anniversary edition, 165k km on it with little to no rust. It runs strong, shifts great as well. Has the full range transfer case to boot. Congress with a fresh inspection.

All said and done the price would be $4000 taxes in. Needs tires, ones on it aren't bad but aren't the best.

Good deal or walk away?

The only weak points on those that I know for sure are the transmissions. My friend and me bought one a while back just to flip and after pulling a valve body from one at Kenny's and swapping it in it still didn't run in anything but 2nd gear.

It ended up being slightly parted out and then sent for scrap. Too many other projects.

Rust is the biggest killer on the liberty that I see, the ones I have towed for breakdown were higher milage ones (300000kms+) , I see a few with trans and trans shifter problems, popping off the side of the trans, the rest I see is because of rust/rot, suspension parts breaking, ball joints ripped off, stuff like that. 

This one is clean, no scratches, dents and extremely minor rust. I'm thinking it was babied all it's life. No abuse sounds good to me.

I might take the plunge. I heard about the trans issues, but I think in 06 or 07 they changed a few things.

On 2/16/2018 at 7:48 PM, TomWood said:

Had my front shaft replaced, had manual in my 03 but other than that rust, once it starts it moves through the vehicle quickly

Rust is always my concern. I've looked at a few of these and the things were held together with hope.

The one I picked up is pretty rust free. I'm happy with it, but it has a few small things that need attention. Not much though.

Archived