• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Thoughts on this truck

derekmac

So, I've been getting the itch to sell my Jeep and get a truck.  I haven't really been actively looking, but I did notice this one on Kijiji, and now I can't stop looking at it, lol.  Knowing nothing about Dodge trucks, or what they're worth, I figured I'd ask here before I do something dumb.  I do like that it's a 2500 with a solid front axle though :) 

2003 Dodge Ram 2500

Dodge front ends from that era are prone to wearing out front end bushings and what not not.  There are upgrade kits you can get for them which if you wheel it would be a good idea regardless. 

If you plan in towing at all the 5.7 in a 3/4 ton sucks in comparison to a Cummins.  But you do pay more for the Cummins.

Over all not bad trucks no more problem prone than any other truck or jeep in my experience.  

One reason for me looking for a truck is we want to get back into camping, and that would mean getting a trailer.  I can't see what we'd be looking at weighing anymore than 8,000lbs though.

I might wheel it, but probably only on the easier trails.  I do love watching full size rigs wheeling though, so that could change, lol.

If this truck were closer, I probably would have looked at it already.  I do have to sell my Jeep before I can buy anything though, and as much as I want a truck, I'm not sure if I'm ready to part with it yet.

I'm really just in the pondering phase right now...

So I just looked up the average weight of the type of trailer we'd get (Hybrid), and most are 5,000lbs or under.  Depending on what gearing it has (3.73 or 4.10) it's rated for up to 10,700lbs.

Lol, I kind of figured you'd say go for it!! ;)

12 hours ago, derekmac said:

So I just looked up the average weight of the type of trailer we'd get (Hybrid), and most are 5,000lbs or under.  Depending on what gearing it has (3.73 or 4.10) it's rated for up to 10,700lbs.

Lol, I kind of figured you'd say go for it!! ;)

Looks like an alright truck, 3/4 ton has solid axles, they pretty robust. I had a 2004 3500 single wheel. Had the same miles on it, maybe mine went to 300000 when I sold it. Mine was a Cummins and 6speed manual but rest of truck was similar. It didn't haul the payload as good as my f250, but hauling trailer was fine. I hauled a 53 ft gooseneck with my truck all over the northern states and western Canada. Dodge ball joints suck, but the Moog lifetime were better. Replaced both rear door wire harness also. 

484343_4206840212269_861925190_n.jpg

11643_1291436929009_2953061_n.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived