• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Keep Eugene in thoughts

TomWood

This is news I do not wish to write. It was posted on our facebook page that Eugene collapsed today and was taken to the hospital in Moncton. He is currently in an induced coma as they find out what happened. 

Please keep him in your thoughts as we all hope for recovery as quickly as possible.

I got the latest from Deb - Eugene is still in induced coma, not clear if it is heart or brain. They are going try and bring him out of the coma for testing today.

Deb wanted me to pass along a thank you to everyone who has been sending positive vibes + well wishes their way.

Hang in there Eugene.

Hey guys, have a new update from Deb yesterday

29 Dec General update
 Genes tube just out!  Quite cognizant.  
Admiring truck pics put up by Bruce, a very close pal. Too hoarse to talk yet but did try. 
All neuro & cardio tests to date good!  There will be more to follow.
NPO / nothing by mouth for awhile. 
Has right hand grip & a little left back
Was so surprised to hear what had happened to him!

On ward we go to seek an answer if at all possible & regain all that he has been.
Feel free to share this. BUT, please do not stop sending prayers & good energy!

Hey guys, pulled this from Debs post on facebook. Please keep sending positive energy to him :) 

Update on Eugene, 13 January 2018 (day 20)

There have been quiet days and there have been tense days since Eugene’s arrival in Halifax last week, but all of them have been dedicated to rest, continuous cardiac monitoring, physical & mental health assessments, MRI, Cardiac Electro Physiological testing, OT visits, etc. 

Apparently one day this week OT took him to walk three stairs up and down. This was not a problem and Eugene found it rather funny. I find that he walks sometimes just a little bit unsteadily but he will not use a walker any longer.  Good progress: he did not tire as rapidly yesterday (Friday) as he did Monday. Memory remains another challenge with short term the main issue. Then out of the blue he will remember something important! I have photo album in his room which I use to help reinforce memories.  IF you visit ask easy questions about recent past and do not accept a fabrication!  Talk about common past experiences or memories that you know about to nudge out facts. 

His sense of humour is in good condition too.

Curiously, not one test has clearly suggested a specific problem or pointed in an obvious direction to examine next! We had some reasonable hope that yesterday’s (chemical) cardio challenges would reveal more. I think that it is safe to say that perhaps my Christmas Miracle patient is an enigma!

Discharge Planning (*DC) needs to begin almost as a part of admission; that stated, ‘planning’ is the word that must be emphasized. Until mid week this did not appear to be in effect. Hence we may surpass the ‘two week’ time limit of stay this coming Wednesday as more discussions, plans, and probably another kind of examination may be facilitated. At least this was part of a *DC discussion we had with his attending cardiologist whom I still like very much. 

Unfortunately, I still feel that it is often inconvenient for staff to talk with us, to answer my questions, and sometimes to pass a concern up the line. Yes, as stated in an early communication, I am a retired RN. Despite six years of nursing education I should not be considered able to answer many of our concerns regarding Eugene’s present circumstance! I must have clear feedback and regular communication at the hospital. My area of nursing practise was in the OR with ENT / Head and Neck as my speciality, not cardia care. 

My very big *DC concerns are safety for Eugene when he does come home. I must feel absolutely certain that our home will be completely safe and that Eugene is physically capable of moving about easily and safely. Whatever else needs to be done to make home safe and comfortable will be done. Medications, not a concern. Diet, not a concern. Getting myself out of the house to do errands, etc a major worry. Short of powerful magic or some sort of miracle at this point he cannot be alone at home which necessitates my withdrawal from NSCAD for this semester. I have prolonged this decision until now. Next Monday I bid a temporary adieu to school. 

On another magical matter: I was not clear on the details but a massive shout out to our SAR family for quick generous responses beginning last Sunday and winding up this Thursday. Thank you so much for helping us by removing a very large broken branch hung up high in trees over a neighbour’s shed! I was so late coming home on Thursday that I missed it! Missed it again when I ran out early The next AM. Then upon my late return from the hospital last night I noticed a note in the mailbox (+treats) from Lyse telling me the tree-tale from Thursday afternoon!!! We owe you and Jamie...

Thank you all for continuing to check in electronically, by phone, and in person visiting Gene. I know that he loves to see people. If you visit please be sure to sign his visitor / memory book. He may not remember to tell me.

Hopefully when he comes home people will feel welcomed to continue to visit him. Winter is not necessarily an easy time for those in his position to get out.

To take a page from my sweet husband’s passion, back country: The road behind us is so very full of rocks, bumps, twists, turns, gnarled roots, mud, fast water, steep hills, blind curves, stalls, falls, fog, and engine misfiring that it is truly a miracle that we are where we are now!

But, we are only just looking down a slightly better up-hill trail and we cannot quite see where we need to be yet. We do think that this is the right direction and will continue carefully up that hill.

So please keep up that wonderful cheering section; I have tears running down my face as I type this. We appreciate every single well wish, positive thought, all of the good energy sent along, prayers, phone calls, card, poster, poem, visit etc.

Love, gratitude, and blessings to all of you.

*DC discharge planning

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday 27 January 2018. Update for Eugene

Rehab Centre life is unique, special, gentle, positive, promises reality, & no false illusions. Some of you received a message from Eugene to tell you that he was now at the NS Rehabilitation Centre. He told me how nice & quiet it was, this despite that he is in a four bed ward! His roommates are aneurism & stroke survivors striving to recover as much memory as possible. So far, he has no problem with this set up so I am happy for him too. 

There are no negative responses such as “I am not his nurse ... I know nothing,” or shock & awe when I mention a shower. MD’s appear to really give a dam! On his admission day I met with his physiatrist and a social worker for over a half hour & neither checked the time once! Thursday I approached the nursing desk which was unattended for a brief period. Another MD left his paper work to ask in a most genuine tone if How was I doing?! I briefly met him on Tuesday. I feel more encouraged and hopeful here too.

I am welcome to attend all kinds of patient / client education & training. I was actually praised for creating Gene’s memory / visitor book & holy moly they use a very similar type of method to reinforce short term memory retention. Positive note: for about a week now he has taken to putting lots of his own notes into the original book! OT was impressed.
==>He has a new book which is larger w a large page per day for brief notes in his own words. 

Some important points for all of us to note below:

VISITING is good for him. BUT, it is a very good idea to check in regarding his schedule. He has a weekly schedule in his unit. For these first few days he has been more busy in the AM’s. There are also some afternoon education sessions. And all rest periods are quintessential to his recovery just as they were in CCU in Moncton. This was stressed again in OT yesterday. Please respect this. Bottom line is YES! Please visit him. Keep it light & brief & remind him to put your name in his daily notes open his personal new daily record book.

PHONE CALLS are also a great way to let him know that you care. Please kindly remind him to note that in his new memory book. He also has a bedside phone as using a cell in assorted ‘classes or training’ is not encouraged. Hence if he can answer his rm phone then he is not in a program or session of one type or another. Even if resting he can probably remain physically comfortable.

CARDS  send them along! He will be here about six weeks. Cards are a cool way to remind him who has been thinking of him. Address: NS RehAb Centre, Seventh Floor, Rm 726, 1341 Summer St,Halifax, NS. B3H 4K4.  

CONTACTING Deborah. Good idea, Call, text, message, email anytime. I will eventually get back to you. And, I promise to relay your messages & put them into his book.

GIFTS. Your care & consideration are gifts. Your love & respect are gifts. Your prayers & good energy are gifts. A visit, or card, phone call is a gift. He does not look for gifts. But if you really feel the need perhaps ask me if he wants a small treat that is permitted by this care team. He appears to be I. Good form for magazines right now.

QUESTIONS. Please do not quiz Eugene. He does know the date, location etc. Leaving the opportunity for him to say, “No, I cannot tell you.” is discouraged here. I like that. Rather that, remind him of things so that he is encouraged to join in. It is in there! Sometimes he just needs a tiny prompt or ‘cue’ as they call it here to get the proper response. And that has to feel very good. Just now I spoke about kitty photos that I sent him an hr ago corrected himself saying that he did not get them following w a totally correct response & laughed. 

Now I am heading his way to take him for a short drive!!!

What a breath of fresh air, so far, at the QEll - NS Rehabilitation Centre

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived