• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Which new pickup for off-road

Nightpath

In about a year I'll be looking for a new ride, been contemplating a new pick up. Of the ones on the market now, which would be the best suited 4x4 King/crew cab type? One that isn't a bank breaker, room for a family and would last four a long time.

Personally from what I've seen of Ford pick ups the newer ones have their issues and push me away. 

Toyota makes a nice rides but are kind of expensive.

Ideas? Starting looking now so when it comes time I'll have what I want in mind.

It's expensive, but for off road the Ram 2500 power wagon is the best.  Also they are releasing a Wrangler pick up next year I think but that might be smaller than what you're looking for.  

So budget/size wise you're left with Ram 1500 or Silverado.  And I'm obviously biased and would say RAM.  I know mine is broken a lot but 99.9% of the problems I've had with it are straight up abuse.  If I left it on the road (or at least didn't put 40s on stock axles.  Lol) I feel it would last a long time.  

Well , if you are looking at 2500, should look at ford 250 as well, they have an awesome drive line and if you are going diesel, the 6.7 ford can't be beat, all trucks have different quirks, I won't have a chev 2500 because I dont like the front ends, I won't have a dodge truck because the interiors feel cheapish, not sure if the dodges are using better ball joints now, but it seemed that I was always putting ball joints in my Dodge 3500, I only had 255000 on that truck and did ball joints 4 times, also the suspension was too soft, couldn't haul anything in the box, had to trailer any type of load, and trailering it did awesome. these are just my opinions, and expirences, at work we run ford superduty, the truck I run is a 2013 superduty with 6.7 power stroke, I have 295000 on it and it is worked pretty hard, only real issues are the egr plugs up , but I'm guessing due to excessive idle time and all in town kms, had no major breakdowns, has 6 speed trans that has worked flawless, they are basic interiors so no real insight there, ball joints have been done once, probably at the point to do them again now.

Doesn't matter which brand ya go with, they are all nuts and bolts in the end, they all have quirks and issues , comes down to will the truck do what you want it to do the way you want to do it. 

I have no info on half ton trucks for you, iv never used them, other than my moms 13 Silverado and it is a great grocery getter, but has strange gear ratio and torque management system , so it doesn't drive the way I would expect a truck to. Might be able to adjust the torque management thing with a tune , but it isn't my truck. Also side note on that Silverado, the factory coating on the frame was coming off, even tho it was undercoated by rustcheck on the second day she owned it, and annually since, but GM took the body off the frame, cleaned the frame, recoated the frame and had rust check re apply, that was warranty. 

Happy truck shopping

Oh yeah , for long team durability, the less fancy stuff the better, for resale , the more fancy stuff the better. Mom always bought new every 3 years, traded with balance of warranty, and it was always full load top of the line completely optioned, she kept one once after the warranty, and what a headache, always chasing an electrical issue, had auto adjust and load leveling suspension issues, had 4x4 engagement problems, had entertainment system issues , just a nightmare once it had a bit of age,

Her 13 Silverado is a basic truck, (my influence) has pwr windows and locks, a/c but that's about it for option s, manual shift transfer case, she loves that truck , it is beyond warranty and beyond ext warranty, and she has never had any problems with that truck, it has never been in the shop other than the frame issue I noted above. She wanted a truck for long term and that is the one for her, it is 4 door crew cab and short box. 

Archived