• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Plow truck

Brunet-Hemi

Chev has been putting diesels in half ton burbs and pickups since the early 80's, the reason is not for torque or power, but sipping fuel. Also the military used them in the k5 blazer chassis and in the k3500 as well as the humvee. The early ones have the same torque as the 305cid and less HP, they were 6.2 n/a v8 , the one you have has a turbo and it does better than the n/a, but still designed for fuel economy, not power or torque. They did find their way into 3/4 ton and 1 ton applications There is your history lesson for today lol. They are a love hate thing, some people love em, some hate em. Iv got a 6.2 in the one ton dually up here, it is a nv4500 4x4 truck. 

What ya got should do what you are asking it to, just watch the frame where I told ya , and it will do it while being cheap on fuel!

Iv considered swapping the power stroke and zf 5 speed I have here  into my ford, would make it soooo much better on fuel, but there is a trade off, I really like my gas engine response, and rpm. 

Yeah it seemed to have plenty of power for what I want.  And I think I might beef up the frame where you mentioning before it cracks.   It won't see a lot of heavy duty plowing but better safe than sorry.   

I've also never owned or operated a plow before so hopefully I don't break ****.  Lol

23 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

I know almost nothing about Chevy trucks.  Lol

Ya pulled one out a couple of weekends ago, then it continued on and you turned around! lol

(I've been pulled out by Jeeps, Dodges, and probably a 'Ferd' or two!

A friend of mine had a K5 diesel.  Except for that, I thought the diesels were in 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, I didn't remember them in 1/2 tons.  In Burbs I thought they were only 3/4 Ton Burbs.  16" 8-bolt rims

Having said that, the front bumper on yours is from a 3/4 or 1 ton I believe, with the two large air holes.  Looking briefly at the web I don't see those on 1/2 tons, and that is what I most commonly associated that bumper style with, 3/4 tons.

5 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Ya pulled one out a couple of weekends ago, then it continued on and you turned around! lol

2 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

You did continue on.  But I made it farther through the hole ;)

Sounds like round 2 is in order! ;) 

The bumper is factory for the turbo diesel option in both 1/2 ton and larger 2500 and 3500 for additional cooling . The only gas it came on factory that I know of is the z71 optioned Tahoe. A lot of people swap the gas bumper for the one with holes to mount fog lights . Most of the 6.5 and 6.2 trucks were all 6 and 5 lug iv ever seen including suburban, only the odd 3/4 ton and one ton with the diesel. The crap ya remember from working on these things lol

Oh yeah, there will be a Round 2!  Matt will make it just fine, even if he has front end issues, by lowering the pressure in those big tires.  And a winch.  I think I heard that when the water is lower you might be able to see the rock ledge in that hole...

And there are a few other play spots in the choppings back by the sand hill, and the natural gas line where we came out, and also a longer way out.

And I want to see if I lower my pressures if I can make a ledge or two without Warn’s assistance.

All good!

Archived