• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What's your vehicle status today?

sar4x4

The Good:  Scout is working great!  Starts with the flick of the key with the manual full choke! (Instead of 20 pumps and tries.)  And with a bit of throttle and half choke, runs down the road well when cold!  (Used to take 20 mins of idling before you could put it in gear/any pedal without stalling!  Even in 20 degree C weather.)

The Bad:  Rogue is acting up again.  My brother was driving it while refurbishing his Dynatrac Spin Free hubs, rotors, etc that have 200K km on them.  Rogue is dead in his yard.

The Ugly: Suburban was put in the compound on Sunday; wet, cold, dirty, and lightly smashed lights and fenders. (My fault, not the trail's!)  And no MVI.  She will sit there until April I suspect, and then a rush to get her ready for the early May SAR event!

Anyone have a OBDII scanner I might want to try on the Rogue?  Suggestions? Typically the dash lights up, the engine starts but doesn't take any throttle, lots of whirry noises under the hood.  Possibly draining the battery.  But I haven't heard today's full symptoms yet.

The Zuk did good on the Drill Road, but left a big puddle of gas in the garage overnight. I knew the tank was bad!

I have a shiny new tank to install, but I am going to wait until I SPOA it. The SPOA swap will bring the low hanging tank up some. I'll build a skid plate for it too.

I also tried to start the Zuk this morning, but i wouldn't kick in. Then I realized the relays for the ECM didn't come online. The cold had contracted the spade connector at the fuse box just enough to break the connection....I'm going to solder those connectors! :)

Got me a tshirt. Tracey thinks I've lost the plot LOL

Permit renewal came in today :)

20171121_155830.jpg

20171121_152656.jpg

20171121_154837.jpg

25 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

They are only 30 bucks.  I'm better off getting a fresh one.  

Yes, don't make them weaker by bending them back!  A few years back I think someone was making stronger ones for GM 3/4 ton IFS, especially the H2.

Do you carry spares?  Fist RCV axles, then a couple spare tie rods may have to be in your trail kit!  If no RCV axles, then several spare axleshafts?

Maybe we need to start a new thread for Matt's IFS upgrade and field fixes! lol

1 hour ago, jay said:

I have a handheld scanner you can use.

I also have a WiFi ODBII device that you can use an app on your phone to get LIVE data and codes, if that would help too.

I will likely take you up on that.  Not sure when I will pick that kit up.  MAYBE Thursday night coffee....... or next week. I have family coming, house is a mess.

2.0 sx, daily and mobile.

Ford, list is getting smaller

-Windsheild- Thursday appointment

-Front Shocks- Ordered , should be here on Thursday.

-Have to pick up some material to build park brake equalizer

- Front Driveshaft- forgot to bring it to town today to drop off to have shortened.

-Have plans for removable rear mud flaps. Still working on plan for front mud flaps, but I think I got it figured out.

-Plow gear needs mounting but have a plan to install it without removing push bumper and winch. Should install pretty easily.

-Some minor welding left to do on the driver floor pan.

36 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Yes, don't make them weaker by bending them back!  A few years back I think someone was making stronger ones for GM 3/4 ton IFS, especially the H2.

Do you carry spares?  Fist RCV axles, then a couple spare tie rods may have to be in your trail kit!  If no RCV axles, then several spare axleshafts?

Maybe we need to start a new thread for Matt's IFS upgrade and field fixes! lol

I found some upgraded ones but they are like $850 US for the set.  

Not doing RCVs yet.  Only because I'll then break the small 8" front diff.  I think I'll do the 2 spare axle thing for now untill I get the time to put in a heavy duty centre I'm getting from Matt.  And be incredibly gentle until then.  

2011 Wrangler - works good and a bit ugly. Needs fenders fixed and trimmed then installed. Passenger door fixing and some dent straightening.

1986 B2000 (2200) - needs gasket installed, seatbelts installed and mechanical fitness test. 2 year or so build up to Rally spec for competition.

2015 Cherokee - Works good (it better, lol).  Wife was home sick today, so I took it to work and the heated steering wheel was REALLY nice!! lol

2005 TJ - It's working pretty good.  I need to put washers on the remaining 3 of 4 bolts from the exhaust manifold to the pre cats to stop them from leaking.  It clicks when in 4x4, but not all the time, usually just when the front is articulating.  It's been doing it since I've owned it, and I haven't been able to figure out what it is.  It vibrates on the hwy some, but I'm pretty sure it's just the tires.  Haven't put my AT's on to verify that yet though.

14 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

A few years back I think someone was making stronger ones for GM 3/4 ton IFS, especially the H2.

There were a couple of companies - Fabtech comes to mind. http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/HUMMER-4WD/H2-COIL-SPRINGS-2003-08/ACCESSORIES/Heavy-Duty-Tie-Rods-2003-08-Hummer-H2-4WD-p1417.html

Changed over to Winter tires on the Wrangler and my wife's Cherokee in t-shirt weather!

Worked at cleaning up the Rover. Will need to wash out the rad from the back side: there is a mud puddle in Enfield that had a lot of leaves strained from it, it seems.

I should have taken the fan off for the water trap.

C

Scout manual choke working great!   Still haven’t looked at the Rogue, my brother charged the battery but hasn’t tried it yet.  Deb’s Subaru has had no more ps problems after I changed the fluid and replaced an o-ring several weeks ago.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

Scout manual choke working great!   Still haven’t looked at the Rogue, my brother charged the battery but hasn’t tried it yet.  Deb’s Subaru has had no more ps problems after I changed the fluid and replaced an o-ring several weeks ago.

How many batteries have you put into the Rogue now?

Two, but probably didn’t need the second one.  The original lasted 6 years.  I just replaced the second one now at 3 years because the electrical system is acting up.  It wasn’t the battery though, at least not solely, but no big loss having replaced it.

Took a look at the Rogue last night.  Car starts, but won't run.  Engine falters and stops after a few seconds.

Couldn't find the OBDII port.  Never used one before, but had an idea where it was.  Forgot my phone at home so I couldn't Google it.

Looked at the alternator. Yup, belt on it, electrical connections looked okay.

Pulled the air intake off to look at the engine bay fuse box.  Looks okay.

Then I saw a rust coloured ground strap that seems to run from the bottom of the fuse box to the battery tray(?).  Touched it, and it disintegrated in my hands.........

99.9% sure that's my problem!  I can't even see where it connects under the fuse box yet.

At the other end, it mounts to the battery tray under the battery....................  As bad as that sounds, there is a plastic liner below the battery.

And the ecu seems to also be mounted to the battery tray.

Some 15 years or so ago a major automobile manufacturer had a recall.  I won't mention who. 'Premature' oxidation of brake lines located under the battery tray.  These folks are not the same ones that design satellites and space probes that last years beyond their design life!  All cost driven of course..........

Hope to sort the Rogue out on the weekend!  Cross your fingers for me!

Can't drive the Scout forever! Don't want to drive it in the salt...........

Mines a 2009, bought in Dec 2008!!!!!!!!!!  Supposed to be in the same spot though, but I read it is often not readily visible, sitting above the plastic trim.  I didn't run my hand there.  I did believe it should be there but didn't readily see it.

Archived