• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Car broken, advice?

sar4x4

The Rogue quit tonight (again).  It's downtown Halifax, took a cab home.  Of the 5 vehicles between my wife and I, not one is running..................

Rogue starts, battery seems good but I didn't have a meter, but all dash lights are on, and it either won't take throttle or if it does it bucks.  Exactly the same it did when the previous battery went bad/seemed to go bad last week.

I don't remember if the CE light was on, but most or all dash lights were on.  It was late, rain showers on and off, wife was with me.  Cab was the way to go!

Do I tow it home (wife's CAA), and buy a scanner tool?  Do it tow it to the dealer and pick it up when it's repaired?  HOPEFULLY the Subaru dealer down the street from the Nissan dealer will have the part in tomorrow to fix the 'Roo.  And/or I could pop the steering wheel back on the Scout and then take it apart again when I have time.

Sleeping on it!

Read on-line that it's a sensor.  MAF, TPS, Crankshaft PS, Cam PS, Dual CAM PS, etc.  Or a voltage regulator, you name it.  Even, check your AC belt, it must have broke and fallen off.

Of course it's one of them!  Hopefully I can narrow it down better, lol!

All comes down to how quick ya want it fixed, or add it to the to do list and poke at it later. 

I find it is hard to properly keep several vehicles on the road , and when one breaks, just set it aside till a more convent time comes to make repairs, but the next breaks and the cycle is repeated , with no convent time or resources to repair the previous issues and the cycle is repeated till you are walking, and then it is which will run with the least amount of effort. This has been my expirence, but now I try and focus on one till it is good and to keep the amount of vehicles on the road at one time to 2.

Its a addiction, habit or what you call it, to justify having a truck for this, a classic for that, a 4 door for daily, a SUV for utility , etc,etc.... It goes on and on, lol and they always seem to need something. But that is just my expirences haha. 

Good luck with your car which ever direction ya go

You're both right, lol.  Usually we have 2 'good' cars. Rogue and 'Roo, both less than 10 yrs old, both less than 200k.  But just.  Which I thought was good until I just wrote it!  And the Scout usually provides backup when family borrows the Rogue.  I make good money, but I just can't bring myself into a new car payment at the moment.  Still paying off the down payment for the house, and a few other things.  I have a plan for today, including priorityizing fixing the one the requires the least effort. I'll let you know how things go!

So, I quickly cobbled the Scout half together this morning (eventually see 'What did you do to your rig today?') and some basic tools and headed for the Rogue.

Steele Subaru called and the part came in for the 'Roo, so I stopped and got that.

Got to the Rogue.  Door unlocked by remote key fob, a good sign that the battery was okay.  (Two weeks ago the previous battery was <2 volts after a similar situation.)

Popped the hood, battery reading over 12V.  A quick look around, belt was tight, MAF sensor plugged in, etc.

Turned the ignition on, car starts and runs fine.............  no dash lights.

Battery reading over 14V.  Drove the car around the parking lot, no issues.

So, will take it home tonight (fingers crossed), and do a better check under the hood.  And get a code reader............. and hopefully something shows...

WAG, dirty old MAF sensor perhaps?

Archived