• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Broke collage kid

Captain Licorice

Hello gents, Let me start by saying I'm a 19 year old collage kid living in Dartmouth but I was raised in Guysborough county. I am not new to offroading but I am new to having 4 wheels. I've done a lot of tours and adventuring on dirt bikes and dual sports. My current rides are my 2015 beta 300RR and my 2007 Ford ranger sport....2WD:facepalm:Really I should be ashamed but I love her, she gets me most of the places I wanna go. I have some mods I'd like to do to improve the capability of the truck such as a locker and lift. She has the 3.0L 5 speed out and a 4.10 rear end.

The real reason I'm on this form is to see the builds because once I'm done with the whole collage thing I wanna build a truck.

I hope to see you guys out there sometime!

20170627_164704.jpg

20171024_171843.jpg

20171024_172443.jpg

I can totally understand being 19 and loving the **** out of the truck you already own... I was 19 and owned a 89' Mercury cougar when Fast and Furious 1 came out and I was all gung ho to build it up.  Until a friend told me it just wasn't the right platform and pointed out why.  I think the same case might apply to your 2WD :)

Have as much fun as you can with it now as it is, save your money, save save save and then when the time is right find the right platform for you to start from. That's my 2 cents.

Also welcome! 

My first truck was a 1992 ford ranger 2wd 3.0 ,5 speed reg cab. Was a great truck, but I never took it off road. It was always polished , waxed and armorall ed. A 2wd is a great platform to start with, and has some upgrade potential, you can install a traction aid in the rear pretty easy and cheaply if you don't already have LSD. Also not sure if all ford rangers have 8.8 rear end or that might be an upgrade for ya. Also tons of aftermarket support for ford 8.8 Then once beefed rear you can lift your truck, can go a couple of ways, also you could go prerunner style, lots of aftermarket for rangers from wide body kits and stretched wheel openings and long travel suspension kits.

If the 2wd is getting tiring, you can do solid axle swap. And no worries about 2wd trans, there lots of parts to be had from salvage yards to get 4wd trans and t-case. Ranger is a great platform to build something out of. Tons of support, and salvage yards have lots of parts to mix and match to make what ya need.

Either way, welcome to the site, self recovery equipment is always a plus and a great start to adding to your vehicle. A winch is a great addition to any vehicle, has many uses other than just recovery but it is insurance. There are many brands and sizes out there, iv always been a Warn fan, but they are pricey, iv also had great expirences with a super winch tigershark 11500, super light and compact, and it packs a great punch, and price new was great, and super winch offer s great line of support of you ever need it, 

Archived