• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Dumb question time: Stake holes

jmacdonald

Hey! I'm a total truck noob. I've now owned one for a total of 2 weeks. I have a tonneau cover, it can hold 400 pounds.  I'm going to want to secure things on top of it.

Truck has 4 stake holes currently. How do those things work? Is there a standard or preferred type of eye hook that locks into them? Does it use some kind of expander nut?

Also: If I want more securing points along my bed rails, what are my options? I'm not anxious to drill holes in a new truck, but if it was done-right i could be convinced.

Thanks.

In my opinion, the best tie downs have a folding wing nut on a threaded eye bolt. They are available as an eyebolt through a rubber block and as you tighten them they expand. But I find they can not expand enough to fill the pocket and come out of the holes slightly while loaded. Additional tie downs can be put in place by clamping to the bed rails. Though they will not work with the tonneau cover.

This is half of a twenty dollar pair from CT. I put one in the truck in about 60 seconds and it seems plenty solid for my needs. The picture should pretty much display how they work. Or at least how these work. There's a rubber plate under the top place that mates up with the bedrails quite nicely.

IMG_3723.JPG

That should be perfect. That's basically what I'm talking about. I've seen them with a folding bottom plate or the solid. Those should hold up better than the folding kind. 

I would put some anti-sieze on the threads in case you want to remove them eventually.

Good call on anti-seize.  (Put that **** on everything!)

The difference in the price between the ones with the plate vs the folding bottom was so trivial that it didn't make sense to not get the plate ones. I also like their versatile shape. 

Now that I know how these work.. I think I can use a similar technique to hack up a way to connect https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/500-lb-cargo-truck-rack/A-p8291528e this without putting holes in my truck.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/12/2017 at 10:26 PM, jmacdonald said:

Good call on anti-seize.  (Put that **** on everything!)

The difference in the price between the ones with the plate vs the folding bottom was so trivial that it didn't make sense to not get the plate ones. I also like their versatile shape. 

Now that I know how these work.. I think I can use a similar technique to hack up a way to connect https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/500-lb-cargo-truck-rack/A-p8291528e this without putting holes in my truck.

Curious if those works well.

I picked one up on sale for under $90 . well built for the price ,even at full price . It adjustable to fit any size truck . I have it on my Ranger . On and off in minutes . I've carried ladders , lumber and even added a 2x4 cross bar to strap some windows to transport them standing upright .  

16 hours ago, ronin said:

I picked one up on sale for under $90 . well built for the price ,even at full price . It adjustable to fit any size truck . I have it on my Ranger . On and off in minutes . I've carried ladders , lumber and even added a 2x4 cross bar to strap some windows to transport them standing upright .  

Sounds a pretty good one.

Archived