• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Myra's to Porter's Lake

Jessy

So Rocky Myra runs from the airport to Porters Lake. When a few of us went up to Muddy Myra to check out the bridge situation a few weeks ago, some ATVers and I were chatting. They run a trail from in through Muddy Myra near Miller Rd entrance to Porters Lake. Apparently trucks have been through there. Has anyone had eyes on this trail before? Or know anything about it? A few of us want to check it out one day but if someone has information it might give us an idea of where to start looking.

hmm I could have sworn I've run Porters to Goffs via Rocky years ago, but I've reviewed my tracks and I've only got a track for Rocky North - Goffs to Fish Hawk Nest River (the bridge).

What did you run that time we bumped into each other on our MUD Run ?

Here's the scoop.

'Rocky Myra' is a trail that runs from the Old Guysborough Road, immediately behind the Airport, east to Porters Lake, which is the end of the Myra Road. It has a rocky bottom in many places, mostly the middle section. Hence the name.  This is the trail you refer to above, Jay.

'Muddy Myra' is a trail that runs from the Old Guysborough Road well northeast of the airport, (almost to Miller Road), easterly across the top of Cousins Lake, then intersects with the end of Miller Road, then continues southerly.  This northerly east-west section can be very muddy! After it intersects with Miller Road at the big shale pit, it turns south and runs all of the way to Porters Lake, the Myra Road.  There is a problem which I will explain in in a moment. The most common fun part is this east-west muddy part.  The whole route, from the Old Guysborough Road, to Porters Lake, is an unmaintained provincial road bed.  This is not private land in any way. 

Back to the good stuff.

The route heads south from the shale pit, past the old sawdust pile, down the hill, then along the east side of East Brook.  At the south end of East Brook it crosses westerly, across the brook, then ends up at Myra Road.  HOWEVER, that crossing of East Brook does not have a bridge.  And that Brook can be very high water.  AND AND AND that brook has a VERY ROCKY stream bed.

Note #1

The brook is physically crossable at times.  It is a road bed, with whatever that means in legal/environmental terms.  It has been said that if its a road bed, you can cross running water.  I do not have legal knowledge of this, but I do use it as a rule of thumb.

In the 90's it was a very popular run with full size rigs, especially on 40" tires. Even during fast running water.  And vehicles getting swept downstream.  And climbing icy banks in the winter time!

I don't think it's crossed much anymore, but I can't be sure.

Personally I've crossed it twice.  In August/September when there is no running water.  And the BOULDERS are visible.

I crossed it in the 90's with an XJ on P235's.  With a lot of rock stacking!  It was dry at the time.

And we crossed it last summer for M.U.D.  With finesse!  It is crossable, but you have to place your wheels strategically, and expect rock rash!  It was dry at the time.

Note #2

There is one ATV route that uses a bridge to cross the brook.  But as a club we can not recommend it.  It is an ATV trail maintained by the Marine Riders ATV club.  It has been driven by smaller rigs.

But, being a maintained ATV trail, I will not post it's location on this 4x4 vehicle club site.

Note #3

There is a second ATV trail that could not be driven by 4x4 vehicles, probably not even by a side-by- side.  It is less used.

Information source:  I've spent 17 years mapping the former Bowater Tantallon lands and these Clattenburgh Brook / Ledwidge lands for an annual SAR/Orienteering event.  I have extensive knowledge of the roads and trails (ATV, hiking, lake access).  However, I can't know everything nor can I speak from a land owners perspective nor any ATV clubs perspective.  For the annual SAR/Orienteering event we do contact landowners and get permission for using those areas.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

When we crossed the dry rocky brook bed it was the extreme south end of Muddy Myra.  You missed our short foray up Rocky Myra.  And an alternate route back to get you.  So many trails, with my truck laid up!  Lol. Couple little items to finish up before I MIGHT get back at mine.  Lol. In Moncton at 90 yr old mother-in-laws tonight.  Going fiddle head picking and visit my recently widowed sister tomorrow.  Never stops!  Lol

On 5/13/2017 at 10:03 AM, jay said:

hmm I could have sworn I've run Porters to Goffs via Rocky years ago, but I've reviewed my tracks and I've only got a track for Rocky North - Goffs to Fish Hawk Nest River (the bridge).

What did you run that time we bumped into each other on our MUD Run ?

Jay - When we ran into you that day near the road was when we ran Rocky Myra from Old Guysborough (end close to airport) straight through. 

On 5/13/2017 at 10:48 AM, sar4x4 said:

Here's the scoop.

'Rocky Myra' is a trail that runs from the Old Guysborough Road, immediately behind the Airport, east to Porters Lake, which is the end of the Myra Road. It has a rocky bottom in many places, mostly the middle section. Hence the name.  This is the trail you refer to above, Jay.

'Muddy Myra' is a trail that runs from the Old Guysborough Road well northeast of the airport, (almost to Miller Road), easterly across the top of Cousins Lake, then intersects with the end of Miller Road, then continues southerly.  This northerly east-west section can be very muddy! After it intersects with Miller Road at the big shale pit, it turns south and runs all of the way to Porters Lake, the Myra Road.  There is a problem which I will explain in in a moment. The most common fun part is this east-west muddy part.  The whole route, from the Old Guysborough Road, to Porters Lake, is an unmaintained provincial road bed.  This is not private land in any way. 

Back to the good stuff.

The route heads south from the shale pit, past the old sawdust pile, down the hill, then along the east side of East Brook.  At the south end of East Brook it crosses westerly, across the brook, then ends up at Myra Road.  HOWEVER, that crossing of East Brook does not have a bridge.  And that Brook can be very high water.  AND AND AND that brook has a VERY ROCKY stream bed.

Note #1

The brook is physically crossable at times.  It is a road bed, with whatever that means in legal/environmental terms.  It has been said that if its a road bed, you can cross running water.  I do not have legal knowledge of this, but I do use it as a rule of thumb.

In the 90's it was a very popular run with full size rigs, especially on 40" tires. Even during fast running water.  And vehicles getting swept downstream.  And climbing icy banks in the winter time!

I don't think it's crossed much anymore, but I can't be sure.

Personally I've crossed it twice.  In August/September when there is no running water.  And the BOULDERS are visible.

I crossed it in the 90's with an XJ on P235's.  With a lot of rock stacking!  It was dry at the time.

And we crossed it last summer for M.U.D.  With finesse!  It is crossable, but you have to place your wheels strategically, and expect rock rash!  It was dry at the time.

Note #2

There is one ATV route that uses a bridge to cross the brook.  But as a club we can not recommend it.  It is an ATV trail maintained by the Marine Riders ATV club.  It has been driven by smaller rigs.

But, being a maintained ATV trail, I will not post it's location on this 4x4 vehicle club site.

Note #3

There is a second ATV trail that could not be driven by 4x4 vehicles, probably not even by a side-by- side.  It is less used.

Information source:  I've spent 17 years mapping the former Bowater Tantallon lands and these Clattenburgh Brook / Ledwidge lands for an annual SAR/Orienteering event.  I have extensive knowledge of the roads and trails (ATV, hiking, lake access).  However, I can't know everything nor can I speak from a land owners perspective nor any ATV clubs perspective.  For the annual SAR/Orienteering event we do contact landowners and get permission for using those areas.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Eugene - This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. A couple of us wanted to go check it out and see what we could make of it.  I'm looking to go from the Shale Pit to Porter's Lake. So long as it isn't a maintained ATV trail or private land, it'll be easier to travel. If it were either, I'd look into it further as I don't have any intent on "angering the locals" so to speak. I made contact with someone that travels through there so I'll combine his recent routes to your info and see what I come up with! I'll have to track it and take notes. Be interesting to have a more advanced trail. Can I name it the Cookie Monster? HAHAHA!!

Sounds great Jessy!  Speaking of 'angering the locals', SAR did just that last weekend.  We thought we had contacted all local landowners, etc but we angered one of them thoroughly once on site.  After a bit of mediation,  we came out shaking hands and them offering to help us next year.  But it wasn't pretty at the time.  We were using a road East of Dollar Lake.  Gated. If it wasn't gated it could mean some interesting 4x4 trails into Ledwidge, Muddy Myra.  But not at this time!  

Matt and others know don't judge where we can go by the size of the truck listed in my signature! But i lead a couple good runs in there last fall and I have some more up my sleeve for next time.  

Let me know how you make out.  I WANT that elusive route from the shale pit to Porters Lake badly. We can talk sometime and I'll bring my map!  If someone else can foster discussion with the ATV club, or others, we might be able to satisfy all.  I'll provide mapping intelligence, I don't have the time to chair discussions. Smile emoji.

And Jay and others will attest to an amazing hill climb we challenged last fall in the same area.  That's a trail that could use some more work.  

Ahh.  So many trails, so little time, until I get my house in order!  It's coming!

On 5/14/2017 at 11:58 PM, sar4x4 said:

Sounds great Jessy!  Speaking of 'angering the locals', SAR did just that last weekend.  We thought we had contacted all local landowners, etc but we angered one of them thoroughly once on site.  After a bit of mediation,  we came out shaking hands and them offering to help us next year.  But it wasn't pretty at the time.  We were using a road East of Dollar Lake.  Gated. If it wasn't gated it could mean some interesting 4x4 trails into Ledwidge, Muddy Myra.  But not at this time!  

Matt and others know don't judge where we can go by the size of the truck listed in my signature! But i lead a couple good runs in there last fall and I have some more up my sleeve for next time.  

Let me know how you make out.  I WANT that elusive route from the shale pit to Porters Lake badly. We can talk sometime and I'll bring my map!  If someone else can foster discussion with the ATV club, or others, we might be able to satisfy all.  I'll provide mapping intelligence, I don't have the time to chair discussions. Smile emoji.

I'll work out a few more details and let you know!

A few of us ran this on Monday, and the first crossing (Porters Lake side) was no issue.  We ran the same route as MUD day 1.  I'm always game to explore that area too.  I think there's potential for some great runs back there! :)

Sorry no invites were sent for when we ran it, but I wasn't comfortable leading a big group in case the crossing was an issue. 

Archived