• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Jays new DD

SQRLPWR

Picked up a dirt cheap, nothing to write home about, 2007 Toyota Matrix with supposedly 320K KM - I say supposedly because the ODO on these and other Toyotas only go to a max of 299,999.

This thing drives so well and is in incredible shape considering it's age and kms - it's has had regular oil changes and undercoating since new. It's got a minor poorly executed rust repair on the roof. But it will serve as a good run around for me and my boy, who is learning to drive. Eventually he'll probably use it the most.

The bonus for having the Toyota is that I can work on the Zuk without any time pressure to get the Zuk back on the road.

Weirdly it has made me ultra lazy with the Zuk's motor swap and spring over axle change that I've got planned.

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0735.JPG

19 hours ago, Jawritch said:

Nice little unit. They're tough as nails and require virtually no maintenance. Just gas it and go

Mom and Dad had a Pontiac Vibe (same thing) and it was bullet proof. I like them! Torque down low and gutless on the highway.

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, jay said:

The bonus for having the Toyota is that I can work on the Zuk without any time pressure to get the Zuk back on the road.

Weirdly it has made me ultra lazy with the Zuk's motor swap and spring over axle change that I've got planned.

Yup, a DD means everything.

BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY, what is this motor swap? Hint?

I won't weigh in on the SOA.  Well, maybe I will.  I hope you don't get it done and not like it.................  you've been down that road lately.................. 

I hear ya! ...and it's kinda why I haven't rushed into the SOA change. The Zuk works so well as-is, I've no real need to do it.....but I'm interested in hearing pros/cons/suggestions for either.

The motor swap...current motor - the oil light flickers on idle, it burns oil at a crazy rate and it's got an overheating problem which is probably the water pump. I've got Chads motor sitting on the garage floor waiting to go in. It's the same 1.6 8v as my other 2, but has low 100K kms on it.

I'll probably start the motor swap this weekend.

Archived