• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Towing

Powerram

10 hours ago, jay said:

Oh that thing looks moody and beefy.

Yep, love the grille and squareness, makes it look like it means business.

10 hours ago, jay said:

GMC did a weird thing with the headlight design...like they're an after thought.

80's style, love it!

You got it jay, it is 100% 80's this extra tall hood and raised cab config came out in 1980 and ended in 1989. The other 'c' chassis trucks had similar look from the 70's and lighter duty in the 80's the cab sat lower to the frame and has a less tall hood. 

10 hours ago, jay said:

Good to hear ur back on track with the build plans 🙂

Thanks man, really looking forward to getting hauling again

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Got the new to me truck home, worked great on the cross country venture. Fuel consumption averaged 22.3L/100km or roughly 10-11 mpg. Its short and rough, made for a long drive. Encountered some snow in my travels

IMG_20181002_120925.jpg

IMG_20181006_113332.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Update, the wrecker I had purchased is beyond my means of repair, I'd basically be having someone build my wrecker body from inside out by the time they finish, not financially feasible. Still have some ideas about swapping and mix and match some gear to the burnt wrecker body. But in the meantime iv purchased a roll back car Carrier with wheellift , it is a topkick chassis, 6 speed trans, 2 speed rear so it has 12 forward gears and 2 reverse gears. It has been gently used privately and is in ok shape. Very similar chassis as my other topkick, also has the same Cat diesel engine. The new topkick also has a sleeper for the long haul,  The deck is an alumnium jerr-dan with a wheel lift , so I can tow 2 at a time. It will have lots of other uses other than moving cars. 

$_59.jpeg

$_59 (1).jpeg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

I love the body style. Are you planning to keep both Top Kicks?

Yep, still planning on making a wrecker out of the red one, so hopefully with some $ rolling in from the new one I can start getting the red one together

On 11/4/2019 at 8:48 AM, autumnwalker said:

I love the body style. Are you planning to keep both Top Kicks?

Iv actually done alot of figuring on the red topkick, I'm going to leave it as a tractor unit, and install a new 5th wheel onto it, and pick up a low boy flat deck trailer, that way I'll have the means to move some heavy equipment, or several jeeps at a time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Made the trip worthwhile, brought back a rust-free van?

Yeah, it was no charge for the rust, Lol, no, that's Mrs. Powerram 400k hoopdity. I drove it up to get the truck, she made me promise that I'd bring it back with me. It works good, and it's treated like a tank, right down to the white lettered all terrains on it. I'm not mobile yet so we have been tag teaming on the ol' van

• Haha 1

On 12/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, autumnwalker said:

A full size truck with a Cummins is a hell of a lot different than a Caravan!

Haha, if I had to guess, I'd guess the trans has been rebuilt at some point, but not while we have had it, it used to be a colony van, so it never lived an easy life, and definitely hasn't had an easy time with us, from hauling the kiddos and dog, engines, transmissions, lumber, axles, mild offroading, and much more

• 2 weeks later...