• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Towing

Powerram

• 2 weeks later...

The lights on the back of the truck, iv been having some issues with them burning out, probably due to vibrations, the last filiment bulb I put in only lasted an hr and it was a grote 2.5" round marker lamp, so led markers in and no problems, now onto taillights, the taillights are just universal truck lights, similar to the old taillights on a YJ jeep, and take 1157 bulb and 1156 for reverse light. Princess auto has led 1157 led bulbs, and 1156 , so I took a chance on them,

Wow! On the 1157, I went with the princess auto line and chose the red 1157 led and put it behind the red lens of the taillight, awesome! Nice bright and clear glow, daytime or night time. Signal/Brake is excellent too

The 1156 PA brand Led bulb for the reverse lights SUCK! Just barely a glow, won't shine, put the 1156 filiment bulbs back in. 

Only negitive I see with the led bulbs is the lack of heat generated to keep the snow clear on the taillights, so periodically cleaning the snow off is nessary

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

GOING OFF ROAD! Here is an Update on the towing, and looking at expanding the business. Towing has been going well, thanks everyone for the referrals, much appreciated. Iv had several calls now for off road recoverys, some iv had to turn down due to lack of equipment. Well , not any more.

Now for the off road Recovery build. Iv just ordered a s#!t ton of new parts, including a grizzly locker for Dana 60. I sold my go fast adrenaline rush to fund this build to add to my dream. Starting with just a bare frame sitting on dirt and blocks.  More to come . ..  Stay tuned......

IMG_20210429_200726_8~2.jpg

IMG_20210501_114311_0.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Powerram said:

GOING OFF ROAD! Here is an Update on the towing, and looking at expanding the business. Towing has been going well, thanks everyone for the referrals, much appreciated. Iv had several calls now for off road recoverys, some iv had to turn down due to lack of equipment. Well , not any more.

Now for the off road Recovery build. Iv just ordered a s#!t ton of new parts, including a grizzly locker for Dana 60. I sold my go fast adrenaline rush to fund this build to add to my dream. Starting with just a bare frame sitting on dirt and blocks.  More to come . ..  Stay tuned......

IMG_20210429_200726_8~2.jpg

IMG_20210501_114311_0.jpg

Good to hear your new venture is starting to pick up momentum!!

Can't wait to see what's coming 🙂

Sounds about right!  Glad to hear things sound like they are steady, and may be getting busier.  If we weren’t all on lockdown I’m sure we’d see you out there somewhere!

Looking forward to hearing about some good recoveries!  
👍🤪

Here are some pictures of the parts iv been accumulating for some time now. It all looks like junk, but it's all pretty solid , and has the right amount of beef. First pic is the frame I'll be using, I have to add a couple crossmembers to it and put the new cab perches on it. The front suspension will be removed and tossed, it's TTB d44 HD and of no use. 

Next pic is HP d60 front, nothing special, will be adding a leaf to that set of springs along with new bushings, and total rebuild, adding a locker and regearing. Tossing the 4.10:1 aside and installing 3.55:1. 

Next is the 8.25r16 military tires on steel wheels 

Picture of the black truck, it will give up it's front clip, hood, fenders , grille etc, 

Pretty rust free bed, and a super hard to find rare rad support , it's the HD version for the front end I'm using, a 1 Year only piece, and it's rust free

And the white cab I'll be using. 

Power is coming from a Ford 6.6L inline 6 turbo diesel, backed by a Eaton fuller 6 speed and a divorced np205

IMG_20210524_160054_2.jpg

IMG_20210524_160200_9.jpg

IMG_20210524_162651_9.jpg

IMG_20210524_160257_1.jpg

IMG_20210524_160223_2.jpg

IMG_20210524_163809_9.jpg

• Like 3

Most of the parts to rebuild the chassis and suspension are ordered, Still need to look at driveshafts and such, I'm not there yet, but been thinking about them, going to do 1410 series u-jounts in the front and rear driveshafts. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Powerram said:

Will also use this as a off roading rig, be back in the woods again

Sounds great!  Also I’ll finally have a good backup plan should / when ever I need it.  I couldn’t expect something like a JK to haul the Burb through a swamp / gnarly trail any great distance, or similar.

I know, I know, I have to get ‘er back on the road first!  👌

8 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

At first I thought your plan was to SAS the Mazda for a woods recovery rig! 

Just too small for Recovery work, it would just be a toy, And it's still here , iv got a few parts hoarded for it

9 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Sounds great!  Also I’ll finally have a good backup plan should / when ever I need it.  I couldn’t expect something like a JK to haul the Burb through a swamp / gnarly trail any great distance, or similar.

I know, I know, I have to get ‘er back on the road first!  👌

Yep, setting it up to be able to hook into anything, wheels or not, big or small I'll haul them all,  putting an old style wrecker boom in the back that way if some leverage is needed or just to pick something up or...? Possibilities are endless. It's going to be built the way iv been dreaming of building an off road Recovery truck.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

looks like you have a project for the weekend!

Haha yep, still waiting on the next wave of parts, anything that is replaceable or rebuildable in the suspension is  getting it done , that list is just what showed up so far,  but not enough to start on yet. Still need a pile of stuff to show up before I can start 

17 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

For most of us it would take more than a weekend...  But for Mechanic Mopar Matt, he might get ‘er done. Lol

Lol, I'm kind of curious myself how fast or slow the rebuilding and upgrading of the chassis is going to be

The last of my steering and suspension pieces came today, except the tie rod, they substituted it with a paper oil filter!? Anyway trying to get that sorted out. Also got some new warn premium hubs too. Almost ready to pull the trigger and start yanking wrenches on this rig. 

IMG_20210602_212441_7.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
4 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

Jesus backflipping Christ that thing looks sick. Converting it to a rollback?

The yellow truck will get a small wrecker boom, haven't decided what to do with the 6x6

• Like 1