• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Towing

Powerram

1 hour ago, autumnwalker said:

Oh man, so sorry to hear / see this.

Any idea what caused the fire?

We figure lightning struck it. I had the truck parked at my moms. I was up late last night and saw/heard the lightning. Thought it was real close. Few minutes later mom called and said the truck was on fire.

So truck and total investment into it is a loss. No coverage. Thats the end of thst story. 

Onwords and upwords ... I am building a new to me tow truck. As normal my projects are slow moving with kids and family and work. 

I have looked at countless local trucks complete and some in need of repair and some in pieces but funding for this is extremely limited so i dont get much to work with for equipment for what i can afford and nothing iv found is close to what i want to work with. 

So i figured ill piece this truck together with a wrecker i want and a chassis i want. 

Iv secured a 12 ton jerrdan wrecker and body in ontario that is exactly what im looking for. Going up there to pick it up next weekend. It is a twin line boom with twin 12000 winches and has bumper bar, and has a wheellift. Seems to be well maintained, and everything is included with all the recovery gear, straps, dollies . Had several chats with the fellow who is selling it and it is a pretty good deal for me. Some pics of said gear. Planning to strip, repair and clean and paint all the gear so it will be like new to install on a chassis.

$_27.JPG

$_27 (5).JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its a start . picked up this wrecker body . it is a Jerrdan 12 ton wrecker. But .... It has some surprise issues to deal with. When we removed it from the chassis , the main rails of the wrecker are rotted and need replacing and there is a crack on another part because of the rust. Everything is functional and usable and is complete with recovery gear , dollies and more. The welding and rail replacenent is more than i can handle so that job will be farmed out to someonw who can undertake a heavy repair. Here it is loaded up. Once it is welded up then im going to get it sandblasted and painted.

20170715_101010.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not putting down anyone's home welding, but for that kind of gear I'm glad you're planning to have it well done. 

Whats the speaker for?  Tunes while hooking up a tow job? Lol

For it's former owner's two-way radio I guess!

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

So this is really starting to take shape. Iv got most of the major things to build my wrecker now, the blue wrecker body above, a cat powered chassis and now a f600 cab and front clip, with Rockwell axles going under it. Just picked up the cab and flip nose last night. Its usable and has a nice  interior. 

received_10156158346758711.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for moving this thread and posting in it .

Here is the transfer case, it is a T136-27 air shift case, weighs 500 pounds, exactly 500 according to the scale. It has a high range of 1to1 and a low of 1.9to1. Same reduction as the np205. But much heavier. 

IMG_20180313_151700.jpg

On 14/03/2018 at 8:43 AM, autumnwalker said:

Air shift? Wow! I didn't know there was such a thing in a transfer case.

Has air actuator on the 4x4 engagement, its like any other twin lever case, but has an air actuator and the lever has no detents, just a spring, so 40 + psi locks I. The front driveshaft . speed selection is still manual with a lever. Hi, N , and Lo

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Some update, picked up a different chassis to put under the wrecker gear, a medium duty topkick, still going to build the 4x4 wrecker, but need something to get rolling with now. Its currently in Alberta, I'm going to drive it home in Oct. Specs are 1989, the last of this body topkick, 3208T Cat , 10 speed, air brakes. Not many left around this body style, should be pretty easy to identify me going down the road. And the price was right, milage is 300,000 so should be lots of life left in it

554055463.jpg

554055543.jpg

• Like 4