• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Dirt bikes, kids side by sides, oh my...

derekmac

So, the kids REALLY want a side by side...  Looking around, there's not a ton offered for kids.  The Polaris 170 looks good, and there are some Chinese ones out there too.  I'd rather not get a Chinese one though.

When/if we get them one, I'll need something to ride when we go out.  I'm not going to run the Jeep if they're in a SXS, and I don't really want to get an ATV.  This has me thinking about getting a dirt bike.  The problem is, I know next to nothing about SXS's or dirt bikes, lol.  I've only ridden one bike, and that was around 20 years ago.

So, anyone here have any insight on what to look for, or get for a SXS or dirt bike?  2 stroke or 4 stoke?  I'd love to ride something, but I don't think I know anyone that has a bike.

It's been a while since I've been into dirtbikes, and have had both 2 and 4 stroke. For general trail running I'd say get a 4 stroke. Good torque, low maintenance, can idle all day, . 2 strokes have their place, and the one I had when I was a teen was a built and screaming cr250 and it was a handful. Great bike in pits and tracks and fast trails , but no fun navigating big rocks and tree roots , ya had to kinda jump rock to rock rather than around them. I fell in love with big displacement 4 stroke bikes, they will idle around obstacles and have the torque to lug down 

Thanks Matt.  I'm just starting to do research now, and I've got lots to learn. 

I've done quite a bit of research on dual sport bikes over the last couple of years, as I have been thinking about getting my motorcycle license, and having a bike I can use on and off road. 

• 1 month later...

Archived