• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Winch reviews

Powerram

Just wondering what everyone has for a winch and how they like it. 

I have had few electric winches, the first winch I bought in like new condition with a user issue. It was a warn m12000. I love this winch , but it needs a very healthy power supply (dual 1000cca) batts and a 120 amp alternator to use it heavily and for longer pulls. Also it is one heavy SOB. Has 120' of 3/8" cable.still have it and won't part with it.

Second winch was a superwinch tigershark series 11500 I bought brand new. Super light compact design, lots of guts but I have stalled it a couple of times. Works well on a single battery system. 

Third winch I traded the tigershark for a reverse rotation 12000 rated warn but built with 7/16 cable and the m15000 planetary s, no review on this as I haven't mounted it yet but also a heavy SOB

I also use hydraulic winches on a regular basis on a commercial application Ramsey 8000# full hydraulic worm drive. They will shred the 3/8 cable before stalling out. Nothing bad to say. 

On the Xterra I have a little warn m5000# electric winch. Light weight , beefy construction, a bit on the underpowered side, I use a snatch block for almost every pull I do and haven't had any issue and it was free. Easy on a single battery system. I run 3/8 cable on it. I have stalled it easily in a single line first wrap pull , but haven't stalled it double lined yet(almost did) 

I also have a Braden PTO driven worm drive winch 8000# on the old power wagon and it pulls hard and awesome,

The hydraulic and PTO winches can be used 100% continuous duty but need engine power

The electric winches have to have a limited duty cycle for cool down and battery charging, and the smaller winch offer momentary use with engine not running.

We've had these discussions before! lol

I have no experience with hydraulic. 

I have no experience with PTO.  We have one, never hooked it up. For the '76 Power Wagon.  We have the PTO take-off and driveshafts.

I (my bro and I), have three 8274s that we bought used. We like 'em!  Except for the occasional bad hand controllers and solenoids they've worked well.

But if you're building that BIG RIG, I'd go with a much larger winch. 15 or 16K #

7 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

But if you're building that BIG RIG, I'd go with a much larger winch. 15 or 16K #

Going to have 3 winches, hyd Ramsey 8000 in the bed, Warn M15000 on front and warn m12000 on the rear.

Archived