• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

LF: Friction bike shifter

derekmac

I have a proper manual choke style pull knob and cable to do the same thing on my Burb.

On the shelf, for the last 5 years..............  Sorry, I'm not parting with it!  I hope to do a lot of mods in my driveway once the snow goes..........

1 hour ago, Powerram said:

I got a bunch of old speed bikes and mountain bikes, but the shed is snowed in. I'll see if I can get in it tomorrow, and get some pics for ya

Wicked, thanks Matt!

17 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I have a proper manual choke style pull knob and cable to do the same thing on my Burb.

On the shelf, for the last 5 years..............  Sorry, I'm not parting with it!  I hope to do a lot of mods in my driveway once the snow goes..........

Maybe I could convince your brother to grab it for me, lol. I didn't think of using a choke cable. I doubt there'd be anything in the junkyard with a choke. Might be one in an old abandoned car in the woods though...

IV seen what you are doing before, but I have concern of possibly in a bad senario of maybe a rollover or side flop of accidently hitting the lever , or something unsecured in the vehicle that could possibly pin it , or a dog. 

I use a vernier throttle control,  it is a twist for throttle up and down adjustment, very fine thread, and has a push to cancel feature. Works great and not too expensive, and mounts anywhere , impossible to bump and accelerate, but possible to accidental decelerate. 

I have one weather resistant mounted near the Hyd controls on my old Tow truck 

VernierAKAThrottle.jpg

I did stumble across those when I was researching it, and loved the idea.  Looking online though, the cheapest I found was close to $100, and that's too much for this project.  Do you know where I could get one for cheaper?

What's generally used in tow trucks for idle up?

6 hours ago, derekmac said:

I did stumble across those when I was researching it, and loved the idea.  Looking online though, the cheapest I found was close to $100, and that's too much for this project.  Do you know where I could get one for cheaper?

What's generally used in tow trucks for idle up?

Anything that runs a PTO with hydraulics, bumping the rpm of the engine up increases hyd speed and pressure. Older trucks use the vernier , newer ones with drive by wire use a program.

20 hours ago, Powerram said:

Anything that runs a PTO with hydraulics, bumping the rpm of the engine up increases hyd speed and pressure. Older trucks use the vernier , newer ones with drive by wire use a program.

The same is true when winching, the alt puts out more voltage allowing for max power (alt output) in a 12v system.

My X is drive by wire and the alt puts out close to max voltage at 1500 rpms. My programmer allows for me to set idle at 1800 so I'm in the clear there.

@belmontaaron can help you with a set-up for a manual trans Heep. He had one on his previous ride before buying the "family wagon" ;) . If he doesn't reply. let me know...I'll kick him on another forum ;)

I have it all planned out in my head, just need to get the parts.  I have to go to Sackville in the morning, so I'm going to stop in at Sportswheels and see if they have a shifter.  One would think that they'd have one...  

When I'm not using it, I'll have the tension backed off so it won't hold position.  There are risks with having something like this installed though, like you had mentioned Matt.  My instinct would be to kill the ignition right away if I were to roll or flop, but I do realize that things don't always go as planned.  I'll try and mount it in a way where it would be least likely to get bumped, but also be easy to reach to disengage. 

Yes, I had this same setup in my 4cyl TJ. Was fine on the flat roads but couldn't fine tune it enough for off-road. I found I was always working it to maintain a constant crawl speed. Maybe if I had the proper gearing to slow the jeep down more I could have had better results.

The bike gear shift work fine for a couple of years then the cable had to be changed out since all the dirt and gunk messed with the smoothness of the cable.

Any questions about it give me a shout.

I got it all installed, and did a quick test of it, and it seems to be doing what I wanted it to do. I think with the Rubi gearing, it should work ok. 

I ended up not mounting it to the shifter also as I couldn't get it quite dialed in. 

20170225_172444.jpg

Archived