• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Cool Unstuck

Powerram

I stopped and helped some stranded motorist's today, but not work related, was on my way home with the Magnum. But these stranded motorists weren't regular motorists, when I approached the scene, there were two sherrifs that had parked on the side of the road and we're digging with their hands to free up the wheels of the stuck motorist. The stuck motorist happened to be an ambulance. It had gone partly off the road with the rear wheels down and pointed up hill withe the front wheels.. I pulled over in a clear area, turned my Hazzard lights on and came over to offer my help, the two paramedics were trying to free the 1 ton dually ambulance chassis, but we're stuck pretty good. After a min of me being parked there pickup trucks stopped and offered to help , but for liability reasons were not permitted to hook up to the ambulance. I started digging armed only with an extendable snow brush. I had dug the rear wheels out and also cleared the front wheels. No LSD in the ambulance , just open diff so I suggested some park brake application to give both rear wheels some resistance. No help. I suggested I get in and try, so the paramedics let me, and with a bit of gentle fennese and stragitic park brake application, and moving first inches and shoveling and then moving feet, and shoveling again,  I successfully drove the ambulance from its precarious situation and parked it back on the road in the desired direction of travel. The sherrifs thanked me and the paramedics were very happy, my response was .. " I always wanted to drive an ambulance so I figured this was my chance ." So with a wave we all departed the scene. 

Sounds like a Christmas story!

Good on you Matt!  Did you have to say you were CAA for them to let you drive the 'bus'?  Of course if you're off duty saying that could become a liability issue.

And not even a shovel in the Sheriff's vehicle(s)?  For shame!  But with any 'company' vehicle, sometimes things go missing as soon as you reload it.............

I have a WWII style folding shovel in the back of my car all the time.  Pretty short though!

38 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Sounds like a Christmas story!

Good on you Matt!  Did you have to say you were CAA for them to let you drive the 'bus'?  Of course if you're off duty saying that could become a liability issue.

And not even a shovel in the Sheriff's vehicle(s)?  For shame!  But with any 'company' vehicle, sometimes things go missing as soon as you reload it.............

I have a WWII style folding shovel in the back of my car all the time.  Pretty short though!

There was a small foldable shovel , not sure if it was from the ambulance or the sheriff truck. It got passed around between all 5 of us

17 hours ago, Lil'monster said:

:biggrin:So it turned into a municipal job 

Doesn't matter if you mean the municipality or Municipal construction....  Municipal construction is working across the street from my office building.  SEVERAL times we didn't know whether to call the Labour inspector, or 911, for blatent safety issues, but no noticeable fatalities yet, or just shake our heads when they drag their construction trailers back and forth or move piles of dirt back and forth.  I thought the foolishness at my government department was bad.... lol.

• 6 months later...

Archived