• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Introducing the "CRUSHER"

Powerram

My new rig, so much for having dedicated plow truck, I call it the CRUSHER, cause it is heavier than it looks, and easier to write than "Lead Footed Redneck Machine" cause it's gonna be a rednecks dream.

Reason for the new rig is I was never connected to the Ford, never felt it, not that it's a bad truck, just was never one Man and Machine, you diehard gear heads know what I'm talking about. The Crusher, I can feel it , so I'm going to resurrect her from the dead, she pretty rough, and a bit tender but I got work under way. Here is the pic of what it was when I brought her home and her current state with some welding progress

IMG_20161126_161924942.jpg

IMG_20161129_121428854.jpg

IMG_20161203_180320976.jpg

IMG_20161203_172606491.jpg

2 minutes ago, derekmac said:

YES!!!  This is going to be a WICKED rig!!!  So glad you're making it a trail rig instead of a plow rig!! :)

Yep, I'm pretty excited about it. It just feels right. got a lot of extensive work to do, needs both complete quarter panels from taillights to doors, some cab mount work and some floor work, and it will be more traditional build for me with heavy axles Leaf Springs and alot more power than the red Ford has. 

8 minutes ago, jay said:

That Bronco will be badass.

I think you made the right choice....but I'm biased and it's not me with a ton of work ahead.

It'll be well worth the effort tho!

Thanks, yep, a ton of work, and I haven't even got into wiring and engine , and then the front end needs a ton of work too. the list goes on and on

I knew in my heart it wasn't going to be a dedicated plow truck!  Being so much shorter than the Burb and the F150 you'll go much further without body damage! 

I think you need to call it the JK Crusher. Much more HD and powerful than a JK but about the same size! 

• 2 weeks later...

Not too much progress, but going to pull the front and rear axles out of the Bronco, I'm not going to be using them. The axles I am going to install are the Chevy D60 front and a corp14bolt rear ff, equipped with 4.56:1gears and a welded rear diff.  Now some of you full size gear heads will catch that a Chevy Dana 60 has a pass drop diff, and the Fords have driver drop. Iv got a plan for that too, the bronco has a np205 married driver drop t-case with a 31 spline input. I also have a pass drop late model Chevy np205 pass drop transfer case. It has a round mounting pattern and a short 32spline input. The input and bearing and retainer  is interchangeable with the Ford 205 that I have. Not completely sure on the mounting flange clocking of the transfer case yet or if I'll have to drill out the adaptor to clock it, and notch the adaptor to accept the shift rail for the Chevy case, but I'm not at that stage yet. it's gonna be

"BUILT FORD TOUGH with CHEVY STUFF"

I am not a purist, so it doesn't bother me!

Haha, yep, I need to get a sea can to put my pile of dreams in , it is limiting my work area too, and I don't know why I even keep this stuff, I got big block dodge Bell housings and transmissions, divorced transfer cases, a few np205 cases  , Ford and Chevy stuff  , I don't think I'll ever use the big block dodge stuff, but I got it if I ever dream to build a big block Mopar again

8 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Why are you changing out the Bronco axles?  You want the D60 front?  Why not buy a Super Duty front?  $?

No need to buy a super duty front 60 front, I have one and it is leaf spring and matching rear sterling with 373gears I think. The super duty axle is driver drop , but takes a 8 on 170mm bolt pattern wheel, and the spring perch with is too wide for what i want, it puts the leaves to close to the tires. My Chevy d60 will bolt right in to the existing springs. And already has 456 gears and has 8on 6.5" bolt pattern wheels

For steering, I'm going to use a Dodge steering box and do a crossover setup.

15 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Why are you changing out the Bronco axles?  You want the D60 front?  Why not buy a Super Duty front?  $?

Yep, I think it is more of a need for the 60 front, I have never had any luck with a d44 front axle, always seem to break the shafts, this is going to get the 400 engine in it , with some 9.5:1 pistons, good camshaft and intake with the Chevy 4bbl so it will have enough power to break some parts, and it will be heavy with the bumper and winch from the red Ford with ample recovery equipment inside. 

This is what all my years of parts hoarding is leading up to. My bullet proof build, one off tough truck that will keep asking for more, be simple and easy to maintain and all easily obtainable off the shelf parts. 

• 5 months later...

Got some more welding done, finished the pass side floor pan, also across the trans tunnel, now im working my way back along pass side around the rear wheel tub. Also got some paint down on the floor plan now. Still have to do some welding underneath, but once I get the top finished, I'll pick the body off the frame and weld er up on the bottom side.  Not sure of the build plan on this anymore, won't talk about plans on it, but might be a cool rig as a stockish type build. Just going to get the body solid first. 

IMG_20170522_154535327.jpg

Archived