• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Trail Development and Run Day - Nov. 27th

sar4x4

Sunday Nov. 27th

This is a trail development day.  We are going to see if we can resurrect part of an old woods road and upgrade a connecting path up a hill to another trail. And run it at the same time of course!  This is a derivative of what we attempted on M.U.D. Day 3, but we are attacking it from a different end, not having to go through the alder forest.

Total woods road/trail length: 800 m.

Historic Interest:  I hope to visit a very small, derelict trapper’s cabin at the trailhead.

Schedule

Optional: Breakfast: 08:00 – 09:00; Enfield Big Stop (For the first 5 people there at 08:00, I’m buying!)

Main meeting time: 09:00 – 09:30; Enfield Big Stop

Departure time: 09:30

Route: Oldham Road, Old Guysborough Road, Miller Road, Sawdust Pit

Trailhead Location:  1 km west of the Sawdust Pit Area, 90° left bend in road

Coordinates:   44°  51.23’ N   63°  21.60’ W       

Equipment:  Bring what trail clearing tools you have, or just come with a willing spirit and a pair of gloves!

Trail rating:  Unconfirmed -  Logging roads and mild woods trails.

I will not have my Suburban, I will be walking/catching a ride from the trailhead.

The woods road/trail length should be only 800m, with options of:

1) returning on the same trail;

2) taking a logging road back to the trailhead; or

3) scouting out a few hundred meters of another old woods road (with recent ATV tracks), connecting to the ‘soft spot’ we found on the last trail leg of 2016 M.U.D. Day 1.  :ninja:

Looking forward to it!  It could be another M.U.D. trail fest classic!  :biggthumpup:

2 hours ago, derekmac said:

Danielle's Christmas party is the night of the 26th, and we'll be staying in town. By the time we get home, and get the kids, it'll probably be after lunch before I'm available. Noy sure if I'll be able to help or not. 

Ill see you at that party man :) should be interesting

Somehow I missed the last few posts until now!  Tho I remember Jay mentioning something in another thread about a spare seat and how our runs turn into classics!  

I've updated the thread name so it sounds less formal, less like a school teacher Professional Development day, and I've added the part about a little hill climb that was mentioned during Day 3..

Jay, if appropriate, can you post on FB for me like you usually do, if it hasn't been done already?  Lately I can't view BC while at work, page not found, and never really could/should view FB while there.

Thanks!

Page not found, could be the BC site, but we have some real 'bandwidth' 'throughput' issues at work. For several weeks our base IP was blacklisted by GoDaddy and other related issues.  And not fully solved.  But I can't complain to IT that I can't access the BC site!

Thanks Jay re FB.

My local intelligence source for the trail tells me there is a muddy spot about 200 m into the trail. We had not communicated well on the 'alder  forest' that was our nemesis when attacking from the north end.  Not sure what will happen from this end! Lol

It may be a challenge, or not, or a typical M.U.D. Trail!  I think I'd better bring the rest of the M.U.D. stickers!

I've been watching it!  I'm thinking I'm going to go no matter the weather or if I'm alone.  If alone it will be a good Recce!  I suspect a few die hards will accompany me and it could be interesting! 

I'm definitely wearing my rain gear!

4 hours ago, jay said:

I don't have rain gear, but I'll be there no matter what the weather has in store for us...I think it'll be fun to be out in some crazy weather :)

...ask me that when I'm soaked and my lil'Zuk heater is teasing me with tiny puffs of warm-ish air LOL

Do you want some rain gear Jay, IV got a spare jacket and pants, new condition

I'd like to thank those that made it out and made it a great day!  And although it was cold and wet for those that didn't quite have the right clothing, no one ever complained.

Also, there was a serous amount of winching going on, I think everyone had to pull their rig at least once!  And last but not least, no one complained about the 'bit' of trail clearing we had to do.  Everyone chipped in nicely. 

And I must say Mike saved the day with his big saw, expert saw work, and never stop attitude.  My dull saw would have been much slower progress with more hand tools.

Another great day!

Archived