• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Clutch chatter, maybe? Solved, u-joint problem

derekmac

A couple of weeks ago, my Jeep (2005 6spd) would chatter when accelerating, but only the very odd time, and only for a very short distance. The condition hadn't really worsened until today. 

This morning when leaving for work, I had bad chatter when accelerating and decelerating. It was doing it constantly, and would stop completely when I pushed the clutch in. After about 5min of driving, I went through the drive thru to get a coffee, and when I went to leave, it was fine again, and stayed fine until I got to work. 

Where it went away when I pushed the clutch in, am I right in thinking it might be clutchrelated?

There's no slipping with the clutch either.

Google:::::::::::

I'm guessing a bit here:  Clutch: It will either chatter if slipping, though sometimes you can't tell it's slipping unless you really pay attention, or more likely it chatters if it isn't clamping enough, and although not slipping rotationally, it is clamping and un-clamping at a high rate.

Dunno!

But, why do you think it's the clutch?  Could it be somewhere else in the drivetrain?

Are they relatively easy to change in your rig?  Is it related to the transfer case mount you changed?

Someone else did mention the springs on the clutch not applying enough pressure. 

I've also read that engine and transmission mounts can cause something similar. It was doing it before I changed the transmission mount. 

I checked the front driveshaft yesterday, and there was no play. Didn't check the rear though. 

From a stop, in 6th gear, I can rev the engine, and as I let the clutch out, it'll stall. That's the method I always used for checking them, but not sure if it's right or not. If I'm driving in 4th, around 70, if I push the clutch in and let the rpms drop, then let the clutch out fast, it'll chirp the tires. 

Gotta be careful letting your engine idle and dumping the clutch at highway speed, the risk is breaking the crankshaft. 

Have you been in much mud, when was the clutch replaced last, throwout bearing might be going dry.the chatter you describe, is it an audiable sound or a vibration? Could also be a dry u-joint, to check, remove driveshaft and pivot all u-joints in all directions, even if they seem to have no play, they should move freely and smoothly, any binding or stiff spots warrants replacement

But my guess is throwout bearing

Well since I didn't check the rear driveshaft, I pulled it when I got home.  The u-joint going to the diff was SHOT SHOT SHOT SHOT SHOT!!!!  SOOOO much play in it!!  I drove it in FWD, and it was smooth as silk.  Well, silk mixed with mud tires that are not 100% balanced, lol.  I've had u-joints go in other vehicles, but they never made near the chatter/vibration that this one was making.

I only dumped the clutch a couple of times, and won't be doing it anymore!!

Thanks for all the input!!  I was convinced that my clutch was shot.

First the steering shaft, then a U-joint or two.  Yup!  These things need maintenance when we play in the mud!  I had a series of grunts, groans, off centre steering wheel, funny brake pedal, engine miss firing, etc.  It was all bad tie rod ends, steering rag joints, wheel bearings, rotten body mounts, shock bushings gone, distributor button worn through, etc, etc.  And like some others, I thought any of it might be something serious.  Then I did a lot lot lot of maintenance, and damn she runs nice!

When my brake pedal was going to the floor, I actually changed the master cylinder.  Didn't help. Actually It was a really bad front wheel bearing, and putting on the brakes was forcing the wheel to straighten up, using all the pedal throw.  Don't ask some of the other silly stuff I've done....

Archived