• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Matt's Daily Driver Build

Brunet-Hemi

I've decided to build a daily driver giving me a bit more freedom with the Ram to build bigger and take my time with it to do things right instead of rushing fixes so I can drive it to work  just to have the fix fail.

I have the build plan in my head and I'll keep it a surprise on here for now (some of you already know what it is) 

Step one is complete.  aquire an ax15 2wd transmission. now all I need is a 2wd truck  ( but what truck :ninja: ) and an engine ( but what engine :ninja: )

20161031_151300.jpg

Tried posting this the other day but it didn't work. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of daily drivers that never see the woods.. Sometimes also known a 'mall crawlers', ' trailer queens', and the like.  At one time there were lots of lifted trucks with no front drive shafts.  Because they were lifted too high too quickly without figuring out the front driveshaft angle was too 'steep'! lol

Don't see that as much anymore, but some!

5 hours ago, autumnwalker said:

My only hesitation would be Nova Scotia winters ... 2wd truck would be hateful. I leave my truck in 2wd until there is snow on the ground and then put it in "auto" or 4wd if it's that bad.

That can also be part of the fun driving in the winter! I don't put my X into 4WD until I can make no additional forward progress; I love driving in the winter in 2WD as is keeps the hand-wheel reflexes sharp.

It's all about the tires and the right foot. When I had my MT's; I couldn't get up the hill without 4WD; with the Duratracs, I rarely use it. My neighbor has a 2WD Ranger and I've only had to tow him once in the past 8 years I've lived here...he runs studded winter tires though.

Regardless of the "fun", if you can't stop; something has to change. That's the reason I ditched the MT's...it was f'n scary!

Agreed with the above.

My car is always in AWD.  I like my AWD and 4WD vehicles, and I use snow tires.  When I want to get through a small snow bank, I can.  I don't get stuck on the hills of downtown Halifax. IT GIVES THE BEST CHANCE AT STOPPING AND STEERING when I need to in a hurry.  But, most folks get along just fine with 2WD, and even all-season tires (shudder).  I grew up on RWD vehicles, with snow tires on the back, an automatic transmission, and summer tires on the front.  No fancy Traction Control, ABS or Electronic Stability Control.  You touch the brakes on an icy surface, the front wheels lock and don't steer, and the rear wheels keep pushing you forward.  You slip the transmission into neutral, take your foot of the brake, let it roll, steer, and pray!

You adjust your driving to the conditions, MOSTLY MEANING you slow down! lol  Don't try to go up a steep hill from a dead stop!  Put your right side wheels on the shoulder that has a rougher surface and more traction.  etc etc.

Whatever you choose, drive safe!  Take your time, it usually isn't worth the grief of getting in an accident for the sake of 1-2 minutes.

38 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

I said I had 'no summer tires on the front'.  I removed the word 'no'.  They were definitely summer tires, and bias play of course, no radials!

Can't imagine how that Model T handled Eugene!

Sorry, you left that out there and I had to say it :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived