• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Matt's Daily Driver Build

Brunet-Hemi

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

swapped over the yoke for transmission on to the Dakota driveshaft. had to combine to u-joints to make it work. Jeep ujoint with Dakota caps used on the drive shaft side of it, plus a tac weld to hold them in place.   It has full range of motion and shouldn't have any issues.  fingers are crossed that the old driveshaft will be the right length. lol :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been slacking on posting lately. So here's what I've done since getting the flywheel.

Took some measurementsand it turns out the input shaft will bottom out in the crank before the bellhousing mates up to the engine. So I took apart the trans and brought the input shaft in to Rods to get some taken off the tip and get it turned down so that it'll fit the pilot bushing I found, that fits the VW. 

20170327_145946.thumb.jpg.3a1305c2edc66de9ca0946154aa4ebf8.jpg

Built the engine mounts and pressed in the cobalt/cavalier LCA bushings lol. I made them extra long so I can just cut to length when I know exactly where the engine will sit. I also made them of scrap steel I had laying around. The only scrap I had was 1/4 AR450 hardened plate. Lol I killed 8 grinder disks cutting up. Lol 

20170401_160936.thumb.jpg.efe8fa531048f56c5d85fa8127cb8fbd.jpg

Picked up some 3/8 plate for the adapter. Just finished drilling the holes, still need to cut it to shape. The bellhousing fits good on it.  Here's hoping it'll be centred on the engine.

20170403_183955.thumb.jpg.4ef678c6faf12a58cf9825507da4110b.jpg

Had to swap the side 1 of the bolt for starter went in.  Had to make some clearence for the head of the bolt on this and now have a hole in the bellhousing. Lol.  Not going to be going through any mud holes so I'm not overly worried about it but I'll find a way to cover it up somewhat.  

Also had to trim the starter abit as seen in the pic. Now the starter should clear the engine. Might need to trim off one tab at the most. 20170404_135619.thumb.jpg.a05b2cab340caa30286626e66b3855b0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to slide the engine/trans into the truck. 

OMG IT'S TIGHT!!!!!    

20170425_104604.thumb.jpg.592dbd5e405aa607141bd29377da9ad8.jpg

The plan was to bolt the trans up in the factory location.  Unfortunately, as it turns out, that would require the engine and firewall to occupy the same space.  

So I have to move everything forward.  Which puts the oil pan in the way of the front cross member. So I'll be cutting that out and building a custom crossmember for that as well as the trans. No big deal but that will put the shifter to close to the dash.  So I'll have to do a shifter relocation similar to what the Toyota guys do with Supra transmissions going into other cars.  Oh and I'll definitely need a new driveshaft now. 

20170425_121340.thumb.jpg.2a247cddd0ef0a8f534a4ecf5f8daf2d.jpg

This is as far back as I was able to get everything.  Not quite enough. 

IMG_8409.thumb.jpg.b46a31d9a871d31bbc26527fbc9f5545.jpg

This is how they do the shifter relocation. Mine will probably be longer though.  

The engine is in!!!

Mounted the trans on the factory crossmember, just moved forward. Turns out the oil pan clears the front crossmember and steering rack but little more than 1/8th inch bit that's enough.  

Was going to do 1 mount on the front of the engine, but when I let the slack out of the hoist, the engine would pivot and rest on the steering rack. So I added a second one just to prevent the rotation.  

I will be cutting off the excess that's hanging down on the mounts.  When I had done them up I was planning on doing 1 per side like normal but this was much easier this way. 

20170429_192901.thumb.jpg.b10765203c44b1dabb6c861259c6baae.jpg

Also pulled off the turbo. The veins are sticking on it so I'm going to try to take it apart and clean them up a bit.  

• 2 weeks later...

Tried opening up the turbo to clean it and those bolts did not want any of it.  So to avoid the risk of snapping one I decided to just try spraying oven cleaner in the exhaust side.   Black sludge poured out the other end and I managed to wiggle the actuator lever a bit.  Did it a few more times and it's good to go now :)   

Got the fenders put back on, the turbo re mounted, clutch master and slave installed plus mounted the resivoir.  Also got a good chunk of the wiring done up.  Took some measurements for the drive shafts, I need it 7.5" longer.   

Going to bring that to parts for trucks this week. 

Parts for Trucks is quick.  I dropped off the driveshaft on Monday and it was ready today.  Cost a bit more than I was hoping but I'm basically pot committed to this truck now anyway.  Lol

20170517_180429.thumb.jpg.434b212c682000b4e7f8790e47ec0f3c.jpg

Fun fact.  Facebook reminded me that it was exactly one year ago that my truck caught fire.  Lol

Let's all take a moment and appreciate the backcountry decal on my jeep in the top right of Matt's picture.

"I'm on my way to Canadian Tire."

"Why"

"My truck caught on fire on the way to work"

I won't forget that day. It was quite funny.

Driveshaft is installed.  Punching the dash while shifting is fixed.  Sorted out a bit more wiring, and most of the coolant hoses.  Expanded the filler neck to fit a diesel nozzle and ran the fuel return line.  Deleted the EGR, OMG those things are dumb.  The intake manifold was full of soot.  

20170522_155354.thumb.jpg.a48841c29e3e7a4fbd9a0dbdaaf71d65.jpg20170522_103912.thumb.jpg.9df5933589f911d98a6df412b8ee6dbc.jpg20170522_103900.thumb.jpg.238b69d0c2687e88c87f9e9ffd7c55ea.jpg20170522_172128.thumb.jpg.a85f1481c35f94541673215f628c4a9e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Coolant system is done.  Fuel system is done, including draining the old gas out.  Wiring is done. Tried starting it but the computer seems to be freaking out.  I think it's the immobilizer. 

I have the VW key taped to the transponder so it should be fine.  The key might of died though I guess.  When I turn the dodge key to "on" the gauges turn on but don't do a sweep like normal.  All I get is an air bag light, the battery light flashing dimly, and a light that has a car with a key in it. And an annoying high pitch beep.  

I can push the starter button and it does turn over which is good.  Going to do some googling to get around the immobilizer. 

• 3 weeks later...

OK so plumbed up the rest of the intake piping and threw a cone filter on the end.  Just need to make a couple brackets so it's not all just sitting loose in the engine bay.  

Got all the vacuum lines done. And sorted the last of the wiring.  

So everything is hooked up, electrical, air, fuel, it "should" be good to go. 

As some of you know I chewed up my flywheel teeth from a combination of my stupidity and a mostly dead battery. So I got Tom to pull me around and try to bump start it.  NOTHING! 

The fuel pump is primed, the fuel shut of solonoid is working (and I even hard wired it, incase the computer was acting up). Hooked up VDCS (fancy VW software) nothing came up that would stop it from starting. Just things like egr and glow plugs. (They aren't wired into the harness but I gave them each a warm up manually before trying to start it.  Tried countless times and nothing.  

I'm off Monday so I'm going to wire in the glow plugs properly (just incase). Tom also found a few threads online pointing to possibly the crank position sensor.  So I'll check that aswell.  

If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to suggestions.  Hoping to get this thing running soon.  

Archived