• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Matt's Daily Driver Build

Brunet-Hemi

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, derekmac said:

Did you bleed the fuel system?  You might have to open the injectors and crank the engine over to make sure there's no air in it.  If a diesel loses its prime, it can be a real ***** to start!!

Yup did that.  Have fuel at the injector nozzles.  That's why I'm so confused. It should at least run if it has fuel.  Even if it runs like ****. 

Hmmm....   There's not much to a diesel, so if you have fuel, and the glow plugs are heating up, it should go.  You could try towing it around the yard in 2nd and see what happens.  It might take a couple of mins to start by doing that, but it should go.  Should...

17 minutes ago, derekmac said:

Hmmm....   There's not much to a diesel, so if you have fuel, and the glow plugs are heating up, it should go.  You could try towing it around the yard in 2nd and see what happens.  It might take a couple of mins to start by doing that, but it should go.  Should...

Tried that also.  We drove from Toms to the ballfield by his house and back probably like 6 times.  Sometimes just trying to bump it.  Other times letting it crank as we went.  Tried 1st 2nd and 3rd gears.  Nothing.  It's really weird. 

4 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Tried that also.  We drove from Toms to the ballfield by his house and back probably like 6 times.  Sometimes just trying to bump it.  Other times letting it crank as we went.  Tried 1st 2nd and 3rd gears.  Nothing.  It's really weird. 

That is really weird.  It has me stumped! lol

I wonder.  Fuel in a carb is one thing, the engine just 'sucks' it in.  But with fuel injection, there would have to be timing, and the injectors opening.  You think you have fuel pressure but it also needs to inject at the right time.  That's two items.  Crank Position Sensor AND signal getting to the injectors.....

Good Luck!

Busted out the multi-meter and verified the #3 injector sensor and the crank position sensor.  So timing doesn't seem to be the issue.  

Went to pull the injectors to take a look at them. Got the 1st one out without much issue.  It looked pretty sooty but I kinda expected that.  Spent the rest of the afternoon trying to get the other three out, to no avail.  Decided to test the injector by hooking it up to the pump but not in the cylinder stop I could see if it was squirting.  Primed the lines verified that the pump was working then turned over the motor and nothing.  Not even a drip came out.  

So I think I found my issue.  Going to attempt to clean out the one I have and try to figure out a way to get the other three out.  Hopefully I can save them and not have to buy new ones. 

3 hours ago, Jawritch said:

I would think if you removed the nozzle and did the same test you might be able to determine if the nozzle is plugged or the injector

I just finished cleaning the 1 injector I managed to get out, and as soon as I managed to get the nozzle everything g else fell out too and I had to Google how to put it back together. Lol (thank god for the Internet! ) so I don't think it'll handle the pressure............. I could take the needle out of the nozzle, and put it back together.  (Just thinking out loud now)

2 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Did you / does the injector have to be grounded while testing?  I'm assuming it's electro-mechanical and may have only one wire in, and need a ground, or it's two and not need a ground!

No electro, just mechanical.  I just finished putting one back together. It's got a needle valve in the nozzle help back by some springs. The fuel pump is timed and pumps to each cylinder individually.  When the pressure reaches ~200bar it "pops" open shooting the fuel and dropping the pressure so it closes just as fast, but keeps enough pressure that the next turn of the pump will open it again.  

It is possible the pump is pumping but not putting out enough pressure.  

1 hour ago, joeylowthers450R said:

so just release the the hard line (a little bit) that feeds the injectors to see if the pumps are primed 

1 hour ago, joeylowthers450R said:

it will prob be required to get pumps primed 

Did that. pump is primed and pumping. Just might not hold enough pressure to open the injector.  It needs around 200bar which is a lot.  I'll find out tomorrow.  

k. there is 2 pumps i believe. i dont know bar to well but yeah you need to be in the 2400psi range. i think its prob a pressure thing because i would think if every injector was clogged the 1 injector would not have fallin apart while you were checkin as that doesnt seem like it was stuck. 

find out tomorrow? are you taking the injectors somewhere to be tested?

Found out by reattaching the clean injector and turning over the engine watching for spray.     There was nothing so I'm 90% sure it's a pump issue now.  Going to sort it out 100% this weekend by hooking the injector up to my buddies car (same engine) and seeing if it sprays.

There is 2 pumps but only because the Dakota had a pump in the tank already.  Makes priming really easy. :) 

47 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Found out by reattaching the clean injector and turning over the engine watching for spray.     There was nothing so I'm 90% sure it's a pump issue now.  Going to sort it out 100% this weekend by hooking the injector up to my buddies car (same engine) and seeing if it sprays.

And maybe test his on your engine / test stand.  Maybe there is some sort of 'safety' that doesn't allow the injector to spray unless it's screwed into something!  Dunno!

No safety, it should squirt even outside the engin. And I don't want to mess around too much with his car.  The injectors are a major PITA.  If my injector works on his pump I'm calling my pump bad.  I already know where a known good one is for a decent price. 

9 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

If my injector works on his pump I'm calling my pump bad. 

Definitely!  If it doesn't... I was just thinking ahead.  And I wouldn't want to mess around with someone's car that's working.  Good luck!

got over to my buddy's place today and hooked up my injector, it work just fine on his car so I'm calling my pump bad. he called up one of his buddies that scraps VWs and i got a new to me pump off his shelf (he only saves known working parts) for $40. should be able to have it installed this weekend. :)   hopefully that's the problem.

Installed the new pump today, didn't get a chance to test it out, since Tom wasn't home to tow me and my starter doesn't work. lol. so I fiddled with a few other loose ends and called it a day. I have a new flywheeel ringgear coming should be here by the end of next week. 

Archived