• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Community Incident Response Team (CERT)

Command

ADMIN: (at Eugene's request) thread split from:

3 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

Saw your truck downtown one day Command, was wondering because you have been quiet on the forum!

Haha I know :( been busy with job hunting, networking and trying to make my community emergency response team a thing. 

I took your CERT signature in jest, like the 'Zombie Emergency Response Team' style logos/stickers/ etc. that abound.  And I'm aware of the Jeep club S.W.A.T.

But you're serious!  Good!  Can you imagine helping evacuate folks in Sydney last week.  I'm sure you did!

I'm a volunteer with (all volunteer) Nova Scotia Ground Search and Rescue, in specific the Halifax team.  I'm not active on the management side anymore, but I have insight.

Basically, Civil Emergency Response Team, (CERT, not lost on your use of the acronym, :-) ), probably falls under Fire/Police etc locally.. And they could get overwhelmed.

Halifax Search and Rescue (HSAR/HRSAR) was tasked during the Blizzard of 2004 to provide transportation for health care workers of the IWK using our 4x4s.  We've also been tasked for evacuation and security duties many many times.  Including the Porters Lake fire, the Bridgewater area floods, etc. HRSAR has a proven Command and Control structure, is self sufficient, is on the provincial Trunk Mobile Radio (TMR system), has Incident Command System (ICS) certification/training, etc etc etc, and exists under the provincial Emergency Measures Act. That's important.

Halifax Fire has also done CERT understandably and not-so-understandably, but commonly, they've done ground search and rescue.

But the question becomes - who do you want searching for a lost subject, a fire department in turn-out gear? And do you want SAR folks fighting a fire?

And if there are many fires burning, and lost people, and crime, who should be doing evacuation duties?  You get the picture. 

Don't forget the Red Cross, probably for registration of evacuated personnel.

With global warming, an earthquake risk, other weather risks, there is arguably a need for dedicated CERT here.

I've spent 20 years developing mapping, GPS, and Real Time Tracking tools and protocol for Search and Rescue. (As in a computer monitor on the Command Centre with a real-time dot on the map of every search party in the woods.)

And I've seen the funding and logistical difficulties all too often.  A professional volunteer group dealing with paid, hierarchical, old-boys-club fire and police administrators.  Doesn't always go smoothly. 

I am willing to talk over 'coffee' if you are interested, but my focus is now on our large annual 24 hr world-class orienteering event.  I have lots of control over it.

And not beating my head against bureaucracy anymore.

BTW, Halifax Search and Rescue is all volunteer, and 90% self-funded.  Look at our building and our $million dollar rolling stock.  We fund raised for that!

We are not paid or funded by HRM or the province!

Cheers and Good Luck!

I took your CERT signature in jest, like the 'Zombie Emergency Response Team' style logos/stickers/ etc. that abound.  And I'm aware of the Jeep club S.W.A.T.

But you're serious!  Good!  Can you imagine helping evacuate folks in Sydney last week.  I'm sure you did

Yes I am serious about this :) lol.  Its an idea I started in Alberta (I'd call it a success there) and brought with me back here.  I would have loved to have been down in Cape Breton helping with evacuations.

On 10/14/2016 at 10:35 AM, sar4x4 said:

I'm a volunteer with (all volunteer) Nova Scotia Ground Search and Rescue, in specific the Halifax team.  I'm not active on the management side anymore, but I have insight.

Basically, Civil Emergency Response Team, (CERT, not lost on your use of the acronym, :-) ), probably falls under Fire/Police etc locally.. And they could get overwhelmed.

Halifax Search and Rescue (HSAR/HRSAR) was tasked during the Blizzard of 2004 to provide transportation for health care workers of the IWK using our 4x4s.  We've also been tasked for evacuation and security duties many many times.  Including the Porters Lake fire, the Bridgewater area floods, etc. HRSAR has a proven Command and Control structure, is self sufficient, is on the provincial Trunk Mobile Radio (TMR system), has Incident Command System (ICS) certification/training, etc etc etc, and exists under the provincial Emergency Measures Act. That's important.

I volunteered with SAR way back and enjoyed it.  My idea is geared towards emergency services in general Fire, Police, EHS, EMO etc because any of them could easily get overwhelmed during a disaster.  However the idea is not strictly bound to disasters either.  With Halifax Fire in the situation they're in I was thinking about the rural fire stations as well,  due to them being strictly volunteer and with numbers diminishing they could use some help.  Placing CERT members in affected areas to augment volunteer services already in place, thus helping to improve response times and firefighter safety.  CERT may even be able to help for nuisance calls in the HRM, illegal burns for example.

Halifax Fire has also done CERT understandably and not-so-understandably, but commonly, they've done ground search and rescue.

But the question becomes - who do you want searching for a lost subject, a fire department in turn-out gear? And do you want SAR folks fighting a fire?

And if there are many fires burning, and lost people, and crime, who should be doing evacuation duties?  You get the picture. 

Don't forget the Red Cross, probably for registration of evacuated personnel.

Exactly correct.  Everyone has their place in a disaster, its called division of labour in ICS.  When you start placing personnel in situations they've never been in before they're not confident and thats when mistakes can happen.  Any agency can quickly become taxed during a large scale event, CERT would be intended as extra manpower for a variety of situations.  It's not intended to take over or "steal someone's job".

With global warming, an earthquake risk, other weather risks, there is arguably a need for dedicated CERT here.

Exactly, totally agree especially due to our close proximity to the ocean

I am willing to talk over 'coffee' if you are interested, but my focus is now on our large annual 24 hr world-class orienteering event.  I have lots of control over it.

And not beating my head against bureaucracy anymore.

I would like to take you up on that, be very interested to have your input.  However I do understand that you are busy, so when you are free just let me know :)

BTW, Halifax Search and Rescue is all volunteer, and 90% self-funded.  Look at our building and our $million dollar rolling stock.  We fund raised for that!

We are not paid or funded by HRM or the province!

Cheers and Good Luck!

I'm starting to understand that maybe volunteer/self funding may be the way to go.  Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Well I definitely appreciate your interest! I understand people have lives and other commitments. It's something that if you can attend great, if not that's ok as well.

This idea is not "official" yet (but it's getting there) once it is however I'll post info here and we'll try for a "meet and greet" session to introduce the C.E.R.T and exchange thoughts and ideas about the team.

• 4 weeks later...

So I've put some more thought into this and like to run an idea past the people who are interested.  I have often considered the offroad circle as a community and I believe most us would agree, so why not start the idea in this community?  Most of us carry recovery/support gear in our rigs already, so we are setup (to some degree) to help as it is and who doesn't love a recovery! lol

So my thought is this:  Since there is some interest already and most enjoy helping others, this would also be a great way to get out in the community.  We could start out small (those who are on the "recovery" team and others who would stop to help others in need) see how it goes and go from there to see where things go.  All team members would get a decal (the maltese cross in my signature) to identify themselves as C.E.R.T members.  The responsibility/expectation from C.E.R.T members would be to respond when/if available to "incidents" (recoveries, general assistance) to those who need it (probably most likely Backcountry members) and to help the general public while out on your travels (if it is safe to do so and if the need is there).

Nothing is set in stone and is open for discussion, it's just a thought.  Let me know what you think!

Im interested, and have ample recovery equipment,  I'm not  putting a Maltese cross on anything I got. I could do the acronym tho maybe.  Also I'm not often available with work commitments. I have a couple concerns too

3 hours ago, Powerram said:

Im interested, and have ample recovery equipment,  I'm not  putting a Maltese cross on anything I got. I could do the acronym tho maybe.  Also I'm not often available with work commitments. I have a couple concerns too

That's fine, the decal is there for those who want it. I can definitely look into other variations of the decal (no maltese cross) for those who are interested.

Commitment wise I see it running very similar to the "recovery thread", if your available to help great. If your not available that's fine too, it won't be held against you. At this point there will be no "mandatory" requirements (other than you having some recovery gear).

I want to clarify my "helping others in need" statement as well since it is kinda vague. By that I mean if someone (again most likely a member) has a break down and if we are able to help out than we do, again only of you're available.

If you do have some concerns please post them or feel free to PM me.

I am curious about how this differs from the recovery section of the board and those that are subscribed to that section?

That section is open to anyone to post and if they need assistance an email is sent out to those who are subscribed. Those who can respond indicate their ability and post updates in the post.

34 minutes ago, autumnwalker said:

I am curious about how this differs from the recovery section of the board and those that are subscribed to that section?

That section is open to anyone to post and if they need assistance an email is sent out to those who are subscribed. Those who can respond indicate their ability and post updates in the post.

Well I'm using the recovery section as an example (since it is one that we are all familiar with), not intending on "replacing" that lol.  Just an example we are all familiar with that's all.  I should note that this isn't club specific, it's just an idea I'm throwing out there in general.  The intention at this point is to discuss the general idea, gauge interest, assess issues that may arise and get a solid foundation before starting small and going from there.

16 hours ago, Command said:

Well I'm using the recovery section as an example (since it is one that we are all familiar with), not intending on "replacing" that lol.  Just an example we are all familiar with that's all.  I should note that this isn't club specific, it's just an idea I'm throwing out there in general.  The intention at this point is to discuss the general idea, gauge interest, assess issues that may arise and get a solid foundation before starting small and going from there.

:biggthumpup:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived