• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Lifts and Insurance

benrpd

Hi all. I'm soon going to be tossing a lift on the truck but have heard from many sources that insurance companies either wont cover you or rates will be through the roof. I realize I could simply go on as I was and not tell them, but god forbid I roll my truck or get into an accident and they find out the truck has a lift and don't cover me. Not a risk I want to take.

What are peoples experience with this? For those of you who have told your insurance companies about your lift (or other off-road modifications), who are you with and what type of rates is one to expect?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, jay said:

Anything structural, they will want to know. 

If it's an off the shelf product, then it's likely not going to be a problem.

If it's home made, then they might want to do an assessment at your cost. (My experience)

Is it even worth mentioning things like bumpers, though? If I wreck them in an accident I wouldn't claim them.

Your rig may subject to an insurance assessment in the event of a accident.

Do you think the insurance company will try and wriggle out of paying a claim if they can use the fact that you didn't tell them about an addon, or prove your addon was part of the cause?

That's my a pessimistic view of insurance, and I don't know the answer. It's a risk I can't take. Some do. It's your call.

• 3 weeks later...

We just switched to Allstate in August, after shopping around for a better rate, as we felt we were getting hosed by Intact even though we were with them since 2002. Better rate with better coverage, and we are good to go with up to 4" lift and whatever tire we can squeeze under our 2 Jeeps. I was also told by our rep that bumpers/tire carrier/winches were considered accessories, and not considered "mods".

For an example, our rates went from PLPD with Intact covering just me and my wife and our home policy... to full coverage with more liability, PLUS our 16 year-old son added as an occasional on both Jeeps, along with more coverage with lower deductibles on the home policy for $20 less per month with Allstate.

My Jeep is a 2006 TJ, 4"lift & 36" tires, wife's is a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland with 2" lift & 31s...

Hi all, sorry for taking so long to reply. 

I got a few quotes from various places and I found that insurance through a broker called Cheep Insurance got me my best rate. I was at $980/yr with no modifications with TD to $1097 a year with this new company through Intact (full coverage). They know about the modifications done to the truck, so all is well! I got other quotes much higher ($1650 Allstate, $1280 Blenus Hope are the ones I recall) and found this one to be the best. 

I should mention that, for those who may not know (myself included prior to a week ago), insurance companies will cover your modified vehicle HOWEVER will not reimburse for the value of the modifications in the event of a vehicle write-off without an appraisal done. 

Thanks folks!

I need to get an appraisal on the Scout.  Had one done on the Burb a few years back.  An insurance appraisal, not a retail appraisal, I didn't know there was a difference until I took the wrong type to my insurance company.

On 10/12/2016 at 0:17 AM, Eastcoastcam said:

We just switched to Allstate in August, after shopping around for a better rate, as we felt we were getting hosed by Intact even though we were with them since 2002. Better rate with better coverage, and we are good to go with up to 4" lift and whatever tire we can squeeze under our 2 Jeeps. I was also told by our rep that bumpers/tire carrier/winches were considered accessories, and not considered "mods".

For an example, our rates went from PLPD with Intact covering just me and my wife and our home policy... to full coverage with more liability, PLUS our 16 year-old son added as an occasional on both Jeeps, along with more coverage with lower deductibles on the home policy for $20 less per month with Allstate.

My Jeep is a 2006 TJ, 4"lift & 36" tires, wife's is a 2002 Grand Cherokee Overland with 2" lift & 31s...

What was the persons name you dealt with? Id love to give them a call to switch my insurance over from TD. 

lol, don't get me started again (or is that again X 12?) on this topic. OP, you are doing the right thing by asking questions and being up front with your intentions.

A couple years ago, I went through a hectic period trying to find coverage at a reasonable price. I'm fully covered now (including the accessories & mods) but it was a PITA experience to put it lightly.

22 hours ago, Eastcoastcam said:

I think his name was Wayne Brown. He is out of the office on an Kearney Lake Road, by the Tim Hortons.

Thanks! I just talked to someone in bedford(?) And they said no lifts or bumpers allowed...ill give wayne a call though. 

On 10/15/2016 at 5:30 PM, benrpd said:

Hi all, sorry for taking so long to reply. 

I got a few quotes from various places and I found that insurance through a broker called Cheep Insurance got me my best rate. I was at $980/yr with no modifications with TD to $1097 a year with this new company through Intact (full coverage). They know about the modifications done to the truck, so all is well! I got other quotes much higher ($1650 Allstate, $1280 Blenus Hope are the ones I recall) and found this one to be the best. 

I should mention that, for those who may not know (myself included prior to a week ago), insurance companies will cover your modified vehicle HOWEVER will not reimburse for the value of the modifications in the event of a vehicle write-off without an appraisal done. 

Thanks folks!

I am through Intact using the brokers ABC. Fully covered, its great peace of mind.

Archived