• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Winch solenoid and controller receptacle

Powerram

Where to buy winch solenoids, and what type? I always ran warn winches for years now, and had good luck with their factory type solenoids, with the exception of a super winch that had a contactor instead of solenoids and it worked flawlessly, but was bought brand new and I traded it after a year. Also I got a couple of off brand winches that use a only a pair of solenoids that are continuous duty, but look like ford starter solenoids,   and my warns use 4 solenoids that look like old school Chev starter solenoids. So that is 3 types, my warn on my xterra needs new solenoids,and needs a new receptacle for the controller. Which type of solenoids do you prefer and why, and also where would I be able to find the parts? In Alberta I had a warn dealer I got any of my parts I needed. Is there someone who deals warn local here?Thanks in advance.

I've never been able to find an industry part number for the warn solenoids, the ones in the 8274 controller.  They were probably the same for all though. And I've looked off and on over the years. Warn wants you to upgrade.  They don't sell the old ones.  Currently I have an AC Delco on the power out side.  But it's likely a starter solenoid and not continuous duty.  I hope it will be fine but no biggie if it isn't.  

For the plug, I bypassed my toasted factory one and used a 4-wire trailer plug.  Only use 3 wires of course.  For my controller, I used a large momentary industrial switch from PA.  The yellow portable wired kind.  Although I have a couple more old Warn controllers now but I don't know if they work.

The local dealer is now Ocean equipment.  I've had good luck with them.  I replaced a solenoid on a 'newer' M15000, I replaced my big windshield decal, and I got the little 'Lock' stickers for my hubs on the Scout.  Warn doesn't list a separate part number for those hub stickers but Ocean called and ordered them in!  Free!

Archived