• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Wandering

Marcus

I bought this jeep 3 weeks ago and the guy I bought it from said it wanders on the road and it takes getting used to, but I think there is something wrong. I put it up in the air and all is tight he also said its the tires, mmmmm no I don't think but could be any sugestions.

2 minutes ago, Marcus said:

I bought this jeep 3 weeks ago and the guy I bought it from said it wanders on the road and it takes getting used to, but I think there is something wrong. I put it up in the air and all is tight he also said its the tires, mmmmm no I don't think but could be any sugestions.

How mechanically inclined are you? Not asking to see who knows more or less, just want to know before explaining , it is possible it is the tires, but need more info, cupping, scallops, even wear, how worn, best bet is to take it to an alignment rack and have a licenced tech go over it that is familiar with jeeps. They will identify any worn or bent or homemade components and will advise you on what to do, cant properly diagnose drivability issue over the web without having previously seen or drove your Jeep, but something you can do to eliminate tires is to find a buddie what has Jeep wheels and tires in good shape and put them on your rig and drive it, if it drives the same, it isn't tires, if there is change in driveability then tires is a good place to start. Hope this helps

Thanks I'm a red seal mechanic tires are worn even and took a look underneath and it looks good but I will try the tire swap and see if that helps.

7 minutes ago, derekmac said:

If the previous owner put a drop pitman arm on with the lift, that might be giving you problems. 

I will take a look but I don't think so

Switch the tires front to back or side to side on the front especially, if you don't have access to another set.  Most people probably don't!

Alignment, alignment, alignment, especially with a lift.

Check steering column shaft.  Look for play in U-joints/rag joints.  Most folks concentrate on track bar and steering linkage and ball joints and forget the shaft.

As well, check wheel bearings.  Most folks check the track bar and steering linkage,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Check steering box bolts.  No one thinks to check them!

Now if it was an old Scout, you have to add another cross-member at the steering box.  The frame flexes!  If it was an old Chev or anything old, you have to check the frame isn't cracked at the steering box!

Just some ideas.  Been there, done that..............

Archived