• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

New to me rig

Powerram

As some of you know, I have in my possession an exterra that is familiar to many of you, and am planing to attend on the summer event with it. So I'll detail my plan now because I'm going to be in BEAST MODE tomorrow getting everything done on Friday. There are a few things to be done on super tight funds, so instead of replacing the pinion bearings, I'll be swapping rear axle assembly and at the same time correcting the pinion angles for the rear axle. Then swapping brake parts from the current axle to the donor axle assy. I still have to remove it from the donor truck. Also , the front wheel bearings are failing and run too hot to touch, so I'll have to address that, and have enough parts kicking around to remedy that , after those are finished it will be onto checking the drive line, fluid checks and then test drive. I don't have a CB yet for the xterra, and to remove the one from the Ford is out of the question as I had built it into the dash.This rig will also be my everyday driver too. I might have a winch put together for it too. Have to wait and see what is left for time line to build the winch. I have 3 winches here , all different brands and all in different states of dis repair.  I have a perfectly working warn M15000 but that is way too much winch for this rig, and way too heavy for the front. Here is a pic of how it sits all cleaned up, 

I had it on a test run on the way home, overall happy with the wheeling characteristics, and only notable change is to shorten rear bump stops a bit. Gave a funny feeling on a off camber/twisted up situation, but not too much as to keep the tires out of the body.

Work done so far is wheel and tire swap, IV pulled the 35" and 15x8 rims and tires and installed a set of 16x7 American racing wheels, with a 255/85 bfg Mt tire, half an inch shorter, and much narrower with more backspacing than the 15x8 wheels. The tires dont stick out as much now.

So that is Fridays plan. That should get me mobile and ready for the run on Sat.

IMG_20160825_190017.jpg

IMG_20160824_191510115.jpg

IMG_20160825_190247.jpg

Winches, IV got 2 here with me, fount the warn m5000 has been in a accident and pulled the motor bolts out of the end of the winch, have a frankin winch here and the main body tabs are broken, 

So checking out the warn, re tapped the body where the motor bolts on and installed 1/4 rod in place of the smaller bolts, the winch will spool in , but not out, tested the out solenoids and found one bad solenoid. Checking out the other winch, it has different type of solenoids, but going to try and make it work.   The warn  is what I'll be mounting tomorrow. Also have to rob the cable from the Franklin winch as the cable on the warn is nfg.

IMG_20160826_011251172.jpg

Warn M5000, bit on the light side , but better than nothing. Spooled with the new to winch cable ready to pull if needed, I didn't swap the solenoid, didn't have enough cables to relocate the box , so this will do for now till funds allow some new winch parts.

IMG_20160826_022347473.jpg

Update...

Rear end removed from donor truck, cut off spring perches, shock mounts, removed axle shafts and pulled backing plates, installed backing plate assy from xterra rear end, reinstalled shafts and drums, mocked up in x, centered and welded up now and installed shock mounts.. Re assembled old xterra rear end to keep fluid from going everywhere, also did all the rear end work without draining or spilling a drop from both rearends, so no need to mess around trying to refill haha. So where I'm at now is reinstalling brake lines, and breather tube into axle. Then going to bleed brakes, and once that is done then onto the front wheel bearings.

IMG_20160826_192021149.jpg

IMG_20160826_192004344.jpg

Back when I used to attend the Summer Event, it was called Fox Mountain, and I often used to button things up on Friday night and head down early on Saturday morning.  But never quite so extensive a proposition as you are doing today!  Good Luck!

And I plan to attend again, it just hasn't been in the cards the last three years.  The camping used to be at Fox Mountain Campground before moving to Viditos, Saturday was a Navigational Rally with competitions at check points, and Sunday was side-by-side mud drags.  With the Suburban winning the V8 class one year, more by attrition rather than hp-to-weight ratio!

Scavenging a SBC fuel pump from an engine relic under a tree (no Sunday shopping, disassembled it and removed the ants nest first), pouring fuel directly into the fuel bowl in the carb to run without a pump, towed to camp by a Dakota, punch a hole sideways into the fuel tank above the skidplate, vee-shaped tie rod, bridge rebuilding, driving with three wheels and a log, RTI ramp, unmanned runaway truck, broken transmission mount held together by block and tackle, there are some stories!  And those are my stories except for the three wheels and a log, and the runaway truck, that was a TJ with a locker and an XJ in the mud bogs through a crowd of spectators!

Oh my!

They were good times!  I hope others are having good times at the Summer Event, and I'm trying to build new times with the M.U.D. events.  We did great exploring and great new trails in M.U.D. 2014 and 2105.  And some great field repairs stories as well!

Back to the thread, I see Matt posted on FB he had his new-to-me rig ready at 3 am this morning,...............

Go for it Matt!

16 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

They were good times!  I hope others are having good times at the Summer Event, and I'm trying to build new times with the M.U.D. events.  We did great exploring and great new trails in M.U.D. 2014 and 2105.  And some great field repairs stories as well!

Back to the thread, I see Matt posted on FB he had his new-to-me rig ready at 3 am this morning,...............

Go for it Matt!

Yep, was 3am when I posted, 4 by the time I got in the house. First thing in the am I woke Tracey and said we gotta go, then get a hold of Tom and Matt and they showed us where to meet at the trail head. The X travels well at hwy speed now, no vibrations or noises. 

5 hours ago, derekmac said:

Matt was here, and the X seemed to work awesome today!!

Worked well, very happy so far, just gotta get used to wheeling an automatic lol. Wheeled with no issues and no breakages, also went back up over international, 

The kids had fun, and Baby Power RAM  was happy she wasn't the only young kid there, she had fun playing with others. Was a great family wheeling day. 

Restored some of the shine to the X, there is more to be had, got a lot of scratches out in preparation to put new ones in. but I'm good with it where it is. Haven't done the hatch yet, some paintwork needed first. 

IMG_20160901_241424134.jpg

IMG_20160901_241608455.jpg

IMG_20160901_241511684.jpg

13 minutes ago, flibby said:

looks sharp!

I have 2 trailer hitches left that fit that year if you ever plan on towing anything, free of charge of course as they are just taking up room.

Thanks, there is one on there already, only going to be used for recovery or anchor point, this isn't built to tow anything.

• 6 months later...

Getting ready for first wheeling trip of 2017 and checking the rig over. I have to replace one of the brittle twist lock on the front hubs and replace the spring clip that hold the front calipers on.

This year's list of mods and upgrades is pretty minimal, I have a lokka front locker  that is currently in the Ford ttb front diff, I'll be installing it the front housing of the Xterra and also a good working factory rear LSD from a donor rear end. The factory LSD will be all that is needed in the rear, the 3.3 isn't overburden with power or torque so no worries of being too hard on the LSD.

6 hours ago, TomWood said:

Wicked man! Will be good to have you out wheeling again

Thanks, should be able to keep this rig together, I drive it pretty conservative compared to the point and shoot ford. 

A temporary fix of the hub to keep the hub unlocked. All replaced now. I love having parts trucks haha

IMG_20170314_151327859.jpg

Bit of a tour today,. Checking out some unknown places, was real tight, encountered some deep drifted snow in the trail, lots of new scratches and maybe a dent or 2. Trails haven't been run in a while from the looks of it. Had some deep water crossings, some good off camber, had to winch on the way back. Tracey got some driver seat time on the way back. She is learning how to wheel. No pics. But was a good day. Trail goes on but had to turn because of long deep water crossing and deep snow on the other side.

Holy **** Broke another hub!!! was doing a quick walk around before I head into work to repack and inspect if any water got in the hubs or diffs and noticed another hub twist is broken. Impact has broken this one. I figure it must of hit the ice and broke. I see some warn premium lockouts in the future. Anyway, getting some tools and supplies ready, also if time permits I'll install the rear LSD today. 

14 hours ago, Powerram said:

Bit of a tour today,. Checking out some unknown places, was real tight, encountered some deep drifted snow in the trail, lots of new scratches and maybe a dent or 2. Trails haven't been run in a while from the looks of it. Had some deep water crossings, some good off camber, had to winch on the way back. But was a good day. Trail goes on but had to turn because of long deep water crossing and deep snow on the other side.

I was going to ask if it's a trail we could run as the club or M.U.D. But if you say it was tight for the X...

The real tight section led to someone's house with no turnoffs , that is where I turned around and had to winch back through an off camber water crossing. . The other trail is a well traveled trail and is wide open following a powerline, but the water was too deep for comfort of just one rig to run. My guess is up to the door handles of the Xterra, possibly deeper. I don't think they are long trails, but the diffuliclty level with rotten snow and deep water had increased. I'll let you know if possible club run trails as I find them. I know of a trail or two that would be pretty good but would have to hit a series of trails to make a day out of it. I'm slowly getting my bearing back now that I'm back in ns. I used to travel thousands of kms per year of trails when I lived here, but has been probably 10-15 years since I've ran them. Some of the ones I used to run are so grown up I can't find them anymore , or construction has changed the land from what I remember,  slowly refreshing my memory haha

, checked front bearings for water, none found , replaced front breather tube in diff,  installed another lockout, pulled rear diff, pulled ring gear, installed ring gear into LSD diff and reinstalled, had to mix and match shims to get right backlash. All good now, can't wait to try it out out

Gee, I had to do office stuff at work today! Good for you!

Making a guess here.  Your taxes pay me to do office/engineering work.  My wife's CAA pays you to work on your truck?  Not trying to piss anyone off here.  Get what you can! lol

If anyone wants me to remove this, I will.

46 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Gee, I had to do office stuff at work today! Good for you!

Making a guess here.  Your taxes pay me to do office/engineering work.  My wife's CAA pays you to work on your truck?  Not trying to piss anyone off here.  Get what you can! lol

If anyone wants me to remove this, I will.

Haha, I wish, but no working on my cars while on the clock, I work night shifts. We got a fleet of 11 worked hard and abused trucks to maintenance and repair.When I'm not hooking and booking, I'm pulling and twisting wrenches so the trucks make it another day, the only down time the trucks see is night time, on the road all day every day. But I have a nice facility to use when I'm not on the clock.

Archived