• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

New to me rig

Powerram

So , went in a short wheeling trip, found mild river to cross and some good hills that are normally pretty tame, but deep Snow made it only passable via winching

. Happy with LSD , it's not a posi, but definitely better than open diff. 

• 2 months later...

Encountered some drivability issues with the engine yesterday, while running some trails yesterday after big Jones had low rpm issues and stalling, started to investigate and found a spark plug wire that wasnt into the socket on the cap very well and severely corroded. Cleaned and reinstalled. Barely noticeable difference , more investigation revealed ground strap not attached to body, so reattached and continued. SUV drove better but now would just stall out, not the kicking and sputtering that was happening. Got a bit further and decided to call it, on the way out no throttle at all. Max of 2200 rpm no load , and only a 16th of throttle application was possible. Was a long slow drive to my buddies place, pulled fuel filter out, blew it with compressed air several times, was able to drive it.. Also the radius arm had pushed off the mount and the rubber had shifted and the axle has shifted. Barely Got home , suv wouldn't barely move and Tracey told me the tire was leaking on the car. Yep , rock through it. So now we are immobilized at the moment . Had fun on the trail yesterday. 

3 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Well that's just one hell of a shitty day.  Hope the rest of your long weekend is better.  

Meh, not fizzed at all, just made for a long drive home. Cars and rigs, never ending battle. Since I have dialed the Xterra in, it has been mostly relaible, but I drive it pretty easy too.... Well compared to where and how I drove my truck lol 

Bye bye coils, hello leaves. Going to yank the front axle from the bronco, and build some leaf peaches under the Xterra. My bronco is sitting on leafs.  Its front axle from 78 f250. So just gotta pick up some material for peaches, got a few random leaf packs kicking around here I'll  probably use.

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

Why?  Sounds like the engine problems need fixing first! lol

Fuel filter all good now. The springs are on a bit of an angle , and  the axle tube hump is rusted real bad where the clamps sandwich the axle tube through rubber , the axle isn't actually bolted in, only sandwiched with rubber and a clamp. The axle tube shifted sideways under the truck and the radius arm clamp slid out the housing to the knuckle

I see.  Can you build up that 'hump' with metal/weld? 

Leaf packs are simple and certainly control the axle.  Sometimes too much, less articulation, slow to move.  Ford Expeditions Excursions also had a track bar / panhard bar with them, iirc, I never understood that.  I'd think that would bind everyting up very quickly! A track bar has to move the axle sideways as it goes up and down, and the leaf pack mounting system won't allow that.  Instant bind?

8 hours ago, sar4x4 said:

I see.  Can you build up that 'hump' with metal/weld? 

Leaf packs are simple and certainly control the axle.  Sometimes too much, less articulation, slow to move.  Ford Expeditions Excursions also had a track bar / panhard bar with them, iirc, I never understood that.  I'd think that would bind everyting up very quickly! A track bar has to move the axle sideways as it goes up and down, and the leaf pack mounting system won't allow that.  Instant bind?

All good questions and concerns, the coils in the Xterra are too soft, bottoms out very easily, just driving on the road. Plan is to simplify, no need for the tracking/panhard bar with my leaf set up. Yes I have seen the panhard bar you speak of, all the leafsprung ford trucks with solid front have that, even my 2wd 1988 leaf spring solid axle tow truck has it. No binding , it lays almost flat and the suspension doesn't move enough to make a "swing" effect.. 

I won't loose any articulation from the leafs I am installing, might even gain a little bit where the front is limited right now with up travel. 

Understood!  As well the rear leaf hangers are probably closer to the front axle, and tighter to the body, affording a better beak-over angle than the rear radius arm mount.  All-in-all it's a tweaking of the SAS swap for a 'solid' conversion.  

3 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Understood!  As well the rear leaf hangers are probably closer to the front axle, and tighter to the body, affording a better beak-over angle than the rear radius arm mount.  All-in-all it's a tweaking of the SAS swap for a 'solid' conversion.  

Yes , they should be a bit tighter, to the frame.but one draw back of leaves is approach angle , where coils don't have anything in front of the axle, the leaves extend out in front on the bottom of the frame, possible to hit the spring hanger approaching obstacles. But with all the pros and cons I think it will be best for me.

10 hours ago, Powerram said:

Yes , they should be a bit tighter, to the frame.but one draw back of leaves is approach angle , where coils don't have anything in front of the axle, the leaves extend out in front on the bottom of the frame, possible to hit the spring hanger approaching obstacles. But with all the pros and cons I think it will be best for me.

But, I know you're not going high, but the higher you go the less the front leaf hanger implicates the approach angle! lol

29 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

But, I know you're not going high, but the higher you go the less the front leaf hanger implicates the approach angle! lol

It should sit slightly higher in front as compared to the rear when I finish.

11 hours ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Going for that gangster lean stance.  Lol

Always have, right from my first car. I Even changed my challenger so it Sat higher in the front than the rear. That is how I originally set up my ford too

IMG_20141001_165045985.jpg

IMG_20141229_085740114.jpg

Archived