• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

What did you do to your home today

sar4x4

Starting a few days ago:

Rented a sod cutter and a tiller.  Took them home in the Scout.  Rental shop even loaned me their ramps.  You can't load / unload the sod cutter alone without them!

IMG_2241.JPG

IMG_2242.JPG

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2244.JPG

Wait till I post what I hope to do tomorrow, it's even 4x4 related.  There's three bush stumps next to the house................

10 hours ago, 82Yota said:

I'm afraid to ask what you were doing with the other hand...

Pickin' my nose and chewin' it!  lol  Well, not this time, too much dust in the snot to chew it.............

Got some good pics today, although we only got one little bush stump out, those three Yew(?) tree stumps at the very front of the house, are too well rooted for a double-lined 8,000# winch on a 7,000# truck with the rear wheels chocked with wood and over the edge of the street curb.  Pulled the Burb right up and over the 10-12" high chocks.  Guess I couldn't block the street and hook to a power pole. lol

Pics later,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wow funny topic to come up right now lol. My newlywed wife and I are expecting our first child on Sep 1, so we've been doing a lot. Rebuilt the subfloor in the baby's room, new underlay and carpet. New drywall/paint, window trims, curtains, baseboard, everything. Just when I thought we were done, I woke up yesterday to find the wife tearing all the wallpaper down in the bathroom... guess who got to go buy new stuff for that, lol. Happy wife, Happy life.

Lol.  House renos never really end.

Like vehicle maintenance and upgrades if you have the time and funds!

We got a lot done the last couple days, then deeked out to help out at the search last evening.  They were looking for paddlers to check shorelines from the water side.  Threw the kayaks in the Suburban, drove down city park paths to the beach...  

So how big is the root stock?

IMG_2273.JPG

Double line

IMG_2274.JPG

Not even close to pulling it out.  Start cutting down the multiple stalks.  They contort and jam the saw.  Took dozens of cuts

IMG_2287.JPG

Then when I was down to one trunk, the cutting was easy.

IMG_2288.JPG

This is for another day.....  going to cut the roots first, there should be no tap root, and these are relatively easy to get at.

Not like the Yew tree sumps above.

IMG_2290.JPG

We cut all of those roots.  It's not easy.  It was easier to use the axe than the chain saw.  The roots are under strain and jam the saw.

We ALMOST have the pine tree stump out!  And Deb wants to get it out so she can finish planting.  So back at it tonight..........

The old Suburban tried a couple winch pulls this morning.  Stump didn't move but there sure was strain, the front springs really compressed. 

Then tried direct pulls with a few jerks, and pieces are coming off!  And the whole stump was moving a bit.  Then I had to come to work!

Broke a chain I had around the stump during a non-winch pull.  Need bigger chain. 

Looked at the SWL of the snatch block when winching.  Need a bigger one for safety.

My aux battery might be toast, or at least needs a good charging.  Had to swap in the Scout battery during the winching.

Deb has pics,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,. to follow.

Okay, I'll forget all the pics I haven't yet posted of cutting roots and yanking on stumps and cut to the chase.

Last night we hoped we had finally cut all of the roots. 

This morning barely took up up the slack and voila!

image.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Lil'monster said:

Now what are you going to do with it

Good question! Not sure!!  I pulled it over to the corner of the lot and it's a funky decoration until the novelty wears off.

You can't tell in the most recent pic but there is a bit of a 'stump', that I'd like to cut a sliver off.  But I might need a bigger saw, or let it dry some more, or I dunno!

Most recent pic of the yard.  The 12 10 cent 'closing out' sale tomato plants are turning into a small jungle with baseball sized fruit!

IMG_2390.JPG

With proper transplanting techniques (read as Deborah has the green thumb), we haven't lost any plants in this heat yet!  Minimal watering when planting and at dusk.

• 1 month later...

So I wanted to build a little platform to raise some firewood off the ground to dry.   And I wanted to try out my new sliding compund mitre saw.  I mostly used lumber that came with the house and from Deb's storage locker we emptied.

What do you think?

IMG_2636.JPG

Deb says I got a little carried away...........

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

I'm not much of a carpenter, so I'm rather proud!  A couple of mistakes..........

Been working on a platform in the garage. There was a set of 3 steps only.  No landing, awfaul dangerous when you come out of the house.  Unexpected big first step.

Mock up.  Steps underneath.  Left and right boards on the plywood are the limits of the platform.

IMG_2648.JPG

Garage is a mess.  All in good time....

IMG_2650.JPG

Back support.

IMG_2651.JPG

More than half completed.

IMG_2729.JPG

I've never done anything like this before.  But I think it will hold up a tank.........

Still using the 88 2x4s of Debs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Wow, did I never post pics of the finished platform?  Maybe under 'What did you do to your truck today'!  Anyway, I'll get to those.  Here is the tire rack I finished on the weekend.  I don't know what I'll do if we get a cars with larger tires!  (These are the Subaru's and Rogue's winters.)

(There's 1/2 inch of clearance below the bottom of the rack.... when the door is up, and the tires touch the ceiling as I'm putting them in until they settle into the cradles!

Don't pay attention to the mess of the garage, it's a work in progress!

The front cradle closest to the door had to be 'clearanced' for the swing of the top of the door as it rises and changes from vertical to horizontal. 

I don't think it will fall down, I think it's over-built..........  I ran the vertical studs right to the foundation AND they're screwed into studs behind the plaster.

IMG_3391.thumb.JPG.edb5a18eac2a1b095986d6fd6b19dcf0.JPG

IMG_3392.thumb.JPG.0bec783f34999104f430738f1d5e6f12.JPG

IMG_3394.thumb.JPG.fcf9f20248d02ccb8149dbf4d9cbfb79.JPG

Finished my work bench a few weeks ago.  Shop vac sits on the floor below the mitre saw, which slides in on a rack for storage only.  I have stand for it elsewhere.

Shop vac goes right to the back on the floor, some boxes stored 'temporarily' in front of it.  Height was at a premium here, I had to use a rack and not a shelf, the rack contours above the curve of the top of the vac and the bottom of the saw, because I have the adapters on the saw for using it on a stand! There's 1/2 inch height clearance on each of the two items.  

On the other side, there's 1/4 inch clearance above the snowblower, which is on a dolly. The shelf worked out great!

THE PLAN is the stuff stored on the left side of the bench is TEMPORARY.  Nuff said! 

The right side is just messy........  its a work in progress.

IMG_3396.thumb.JPG.604d115fb2f25bbf2f4c7fc217e467b8.JPG

Archived