• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found some time to work on the carb this weekend.

Other peoples experiences with this Toyota carb on a 1.3 with a mechanical pump have been bolt on and go.
Right off the bat, mine was over fueling really badly like the HD carb was. I would get down the road and would flood out with fuel pissing out of the carb.
So yesterday I took the carb apart to check the float. When I did, I was able to run the pump to test the pump pressure without a regulator to see if it really was overpowering the needle, and it wasn't. So that told me the float was set too high.
I spent some time tweaking the float level, and I think I have it to where it needs to be - but it's a REALLY fine line between over filling the bowl and starving it.
Other than that, it seems to start from -10c without choke (which I need to hook up) and has plenty of response and a bit more power. The real test will be in the woods ;)

Zuk left me dead in the middle of the intersection on Cobequid Rd on the way to coffee. Had to push it to a car park....carb was flooded.

So I took it apart and lowered the float....and bam! It took me Bayers and back without missing a beat. Thing just purrs and started right up after sitting cold. I think (touch wood) I've nailed it.

Just one test left....wheeling it, which I'm planning on doing some gentle dirt roads with Ron and Derek on Saturday.

Note to self - don't run the carb without an air cleaner, especially with the PCV plumbed into the stock cleaner housing LOL

Went through Renfrew to test the Toyota carb, and half an hour before the run I figured I'd install the stock air filter housing and plumb the snorkel in, not thinking about the oily PCV air going straight into the carb...oops  LOL

Zuk ran flawlessly for a few hours, then started to flood out. When I took the carb apart, I found oily gunk in it, and some little chunks in the needle valve.

DSC_7550.JPG

DSC_7552.JPG

DSC_7553.JPG

DSC_7554.JPG

I cleaned out the carb and the Zuk is purring again :)

I also have this square brass thingy left over.....it dropped on the floor with the enrichment spring, and I've no clue where it came from. It's a similar size/shape to the needle valve, but it's not that.

IMG_0629.JPG

well...um, I found a ball bearing on the floor, so this made my picture complete......the ball bearing was to seal a small hole where the accelerator pump squirted it's goodness out of.

Ball and brass thingy installed and it's still running LOL :)

IMG_0633b.JPG

I hear ya...and normally I wouldnt care. But, the plan is to add some rocker protection. I just need the original rockers to pull out so they'll be flush with the protector.

I was thinking either;

1.make a relief cut and pull it out, then weld 'er back up

2.make some kind of PDR 'hot-glue puller lever thingy' - glue a plate with a eye to the panel, and lever on it.

Like I say, it does have to be perfect., just enough to line up with the protector.

yeah, I think that's what I'll end up doing.

I pulled the rubber-ish trim and found a nasty surprise - I hate moldings!! Luckily the wet perma-mud hasn't penetrated the paint :)

The rocker is so thin, I can easily flex it with my finger...so it should come out just as easy.

DSC_7563.JPG

DSC_7566.JPG

6 hours ago, jay said:

It looks like I picked up an extra wiggle in the ice at the weekend. Any cheap ways to pull these out? i doesn't have to be high dollar
perfect ;)

rockers.jpg

Iv got a slide hammer dent puller you can borrow if ya want

Archived