• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

Or a Quadra-Jet!  lol

That's what I have in the ford. Never misses a beat. Great carbs! Iv got a hoard of carbs from edlebrick, Carter's, Holley vac secondary and some double pumpers , a demon or 2 , a few Rochester quadrajets, and a pile that I haven't gone through yet. Buckets of jets, metering blocks and bodies and plates.

Jay, I would have loved to dial that Harley carb in for ya, when I did it last time that Sami revved and had response of a crotch rocket bike. It worked amazing!!! Idled as smooth as if it were brand new engine and would run till ya put the Sami on its lid. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may have to have you look at my Q-Jet sometime.  I think the 'choke break' is not working, but I don't drive it much when it's cold so I've never played with it.  She stays slammed closed even once the engine starts. However once the electric choke opens all is fine.

Swapped out the IAT and ETC with spares...no better - when cold it idles up to speed for a few seconds then dies, and runs rough with the accelerator. It doesn't miss a beat when hot.

So, I think I'm gonna take a chance and drive it to the meeting to see how it is after a long run. If it's misbehaves, then I'll likely miss the run and throw the Toy carb in.

Have you tried cleaning the throttle body/plate?

How does the ignition system look? (Cap, rotor, plugs)

Does the new exhaust create any major restrictions?

Try spraying ether around vacuum lines to look for leaks/cracks.

Try to disconnect for battery for a while to clear computer and default back to OE trims.

44 minutes ago, jay said:

Fixed it! :) One end of the MAP sensor hose that's hidden under the intake manifold was still connected, but only just enough to stop it falling off. I must have knocked it when is was dickering with the snorkel.

I often go looking for all the hard, improbable problems, when it really is something simple right under my nose!

Axle oil has been leaking despite replacing the axle seal. 

During the last club run, the wheel bearing started making a nasty clicky noise. I've known the bearing was bad, so it was time to replace it.

I have a trail spare that has the bearing and newer style removable backing plate. This allows the axle to be removed without having to remove the backing plate (and open up the brake circuit)

So I zipped off the old bearing, and modified the old brake backing plate so the axle bearing would slide past it with having to remove it. 

I'll rebuild the old axle.

Now I can replace the axle on trail in 20 minutes if needed :)

DSC_7464.thumb.JPG.d52ab8c66804093c71c5c60fa7628498.JPGDSC_7465.thumb.JPG.cdae2cfa4cddc7b7608ded319f2edbdb.JPGDSC_7467.thumb.JPG.d2b4230a719e72ffdfe13f9f11e95d2d.JPGDSC_7471.thumb.JPG.8e38e0e2a209f0e41aaa1510f03a04f2.JPGDSC_7477.thumb.JPG.b40119f3d3e194ed21280ed2f0bc4ae4.JPGDSC_7486.thumb.JPG.99bfc66311abef8233ee5600bd01b4a2.JPGDSC_7487.thumb.JPG.e73535c8a608b8960e14f639800902fd.JPGDSC_7483.thumb.JPG.b76c1dfc4b1f036b723a6a7e5dd786a0.JPGDSC_7493.thumb.JPG.cb8fa3d0ae2280757ae998380eaad5da.JPG

OK, so this happened tonight....curiosity finally got the better of me and I threw on the Toyota 4K carb. It fired up first turn and runs really nice!!

I just have to make a throttle cable bracket, button up the fuel pump relay and the anti-diesel solenoid and I'll be able to take it for a spin.

DSC_7494.thumb.JPG.ca2de75a98c966c4a997230166f7dcbc.JPG

I forget what it's like to tinker on machines Lol

It'll come again.

Whereas you were tinkering on the Zuk my brain has been tinkering on M.U.D. during a few spare moments lately.  I've been plotting items on a map and will eventually find a best path to link them.  I'll probably send them to you as a kml file for ideas...... 

Got the bracket made. Noticed the fuel pump was overpowering the carb. I've got the fuel running through a regulator, and the regulator cranked all the way down, but then I remembered the support folks at Holley saying my 5-6psi pump was too much for this regulator. So I've ordered the lowest pressure pump I can find at 2-3.5psi. Hopefully that helps.

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG

Lol.  Not enough problems, so change the fuel delivery system and make some! lol

My brother was just lamenting we have some mechanical work to do before our annual SAR event the first weekend in May.

I will get at my Suburban in April, and just enough to pass inspection.  Busy with the mapping for that event.

Then, I want to really have the Burb fixed up for M.U.D!  No excuses!

Archived