• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perma-mounted my tire air compressor by modifying the existing jack carrier and strapped 'er on

Luckily the Zuk is so short, the existing air lines reach all 4 corners from that position.

Time will tell if it holds up to the vibration, moisture, heat and dirt :)

IMG_0884.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the motor oil for some nice synthetic :)

I had plans of replacing the 'other side' leaky rear wheel seal and bearing, and investigating the wobbly front wheel situation.

Found on both fronts, the axle nut had backed out making them wobble.

For those who don't know, it's cone bearings up front; hub carrier, race, bearing, washer, nut, bendy tab lock washer, lock nut, c-clip.

All the hardware was there, somehow the lock washer didn't prevent the nuts from spinning. So I bought a 2 inch socket for the nuts to make sure the lock nut was plenty tight.

Serviced the drivers side as the bearings were still good.

Bearings on the passenger side were toast, and I didn't have any. So I stripped the carrier out of the spare 'yellow' axle and installed it. Of course I got it all together, only to notice there was a broken bolt in the hub, so out came the reverse drill bits....I love those things :)

All was good on the test drive until I got half a km from home and the yellow one was binding up pretty bad. So I'm back to square one LOL.

I'm gonna rob the same out of 'Chads' to fix it.....and repeat until I'm out of spares....maybe I should just pony up and buy the rebuild kit.

I didn't get around to looking at the the rear, but I did install an on/off switch for the compressor :)

IMG_0895.JPG

IMG_0913.JPG

Dave, Clarence may have experience, or Mr. Google.  Parts too worn in some respect? Bendy washer been bent too many times? I don't remember reading of too many issues, but Stage 8 designed theirs for a reason!  I checked their website, only for Dana 44, 60, and 70 I believe.  Zuk and Toy forums have any thoughts?

When you bury the axle in mud/water several times a year..... repeated maintenance is key!  I bury mine, then don't drive it far enough to build heat and dry the works out, combined with bad spindle seals,  and the bearings fail and I have to change bearings!  That TG gear looks great!

New radiator thermostat controller came in today. The original Chinese electronic controller would not work when the Zuk was first started, but only after I smacked it around a bit, then it would run all day long, or until the Zuk cooled down again. Not a wiring or relay issue, but something inside the epoxy'd up electronics. To coin a phase - Junk.

The new controller is a mechanical bi-metalic strip affair....simpler, and hopefully more reliable.

Stripped the hubs out of Chads axle in vein hopes that I could use them....but no, they're junk....and not a C-clip to be found in either.

Looks like I need to place an order with trail-gear after all LOL.

On the up side, Chads has brand new calipers and pads :)

IMG_0918.thumb.JPG.f255939b2e2ca88382f2e21ab5f258fd.JPG

IMG_0915.thumb.JPG.8279a5aa592400dbb32e6a13a419b153.JPG

IMG_0931.thumb.JPG.e13c8060e9fbd7cbee3a38105803558c.JPG

IMG_0928.thumb.JPG.10dfd88dc48fdd2fff38cfee33168ffc.JPG

Got home from coffee night and decided to pop the rear axle that's making a very loud clicking noise LOL

I knew the bearing was bad when I saw the tell-tail signs of a gear oil leak at the seal ;) (same as the other side was)

I'll do the brake backing plate mod like I did on the passenger side (cut a 2 inch bearing sized hole in the backing plate, and use the later style retainer, so it eliminates the need to remove the brake line the next time I pull the axle)

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0942.JPG

Found some time to mount my Hi-Lift. There's no room for it on my bumpers and I considered mounting it on the hood. But that would have impeded the opening if the hood.

So I found some brackets that came off one of the other Zuks in my pile of parts, and re-used it for the Hi-Lift mount. I think that's a pretty good spot for it :)

hood_mount.png

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

Picked up a noise before I replaced the 'other' wheel bearing.

New bearing is in, but I found this devastation in my rear diff.

So, Chads Vitara rear diff won't fit the zuk as the case is larger, but it has 5.13's. I'm hoping the carrier will fit the carrier out of Chads front diff to make a diff for my rear.

Hmmm or just replace the side gears in Chads front diff ?

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

Got the gears swapped out and dialed in.
I fozzy locked the side gears instead of re-using the original fully welded carrier, because I remembered when I replaced the pinion bearing, the ring gear was warped....in hindsight that could have caused something to fail, maybe.
Weirdly the 'Yellow' carrier where I stole the side gears from had 4 way spiders, but Chads only had 2...and they were machined differently. So I reused the 'Yellow' carrier and the aluminum housing because the pinion and bearings were in excellent condition.

4 spiders should be stronger too :)

With the fozzy, there's really minimal free play, so we'll see how it pans out. I've seen fozzys online in these after years of wheeling and they dont cause any problems and stand up to the load.

I just have to throw it all back in now :)

IMG_1025.JPG

Archived