• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

Motor swap is done :)

Everything went pretty smoothly except for a spark plug decided to shear in 2 for no apparent reason.

When the motor fired up, I noticed a killer vibration. Initally I thought I'd fooked up the flywheel or clutch plate, but thankfully it turned out to be a problem with the motor mounts not centering the engine and making the exhaust down pipe touch the frame hard. IDK what happened, but It's something I should be able to correct pretty easily.

Anyways, apart from that, it purrs :)

IMG_0756.JPG

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You got the plug out w/o great fuss?

Keep up the great work!  I picked fiddle heads today, at a spot I want to use during M.U.D.  Keeping the wife happy AND planning 4x4.  What could be better?

I'm stoked!

On 2017-05-15 at 0:04 AM, sar4x4 said:

You got the plug out w/o great fuss?

Keep up the great work!  I picked fiddle heads today, at a spot I want to use during M.U.D.  Keeping the wife happy AND planning 4x4.  What could be better?

I'm stoked!

Julie loves fiddle heads, should send me the location of that patch so we can get some fresh ones ;)

Rig is coming together Jay! Should be all set here soon eh?

Been troubleshooting an overheating issue this week.

It did the same with the other engine.

Only happens at speeds of over 50 km/h.

Fan is kicking in.

Thermostat replaced.

Radiator replaced with the (slightly) bigger plastic one out of the yellow Zuk.

Took it out today in the heat and barely made it up to the Sobeys in Fall River.

I've taken off the winch as it's covering half of the rad......will know later if it helped.

IMG_0769.thumb.JPG.cb1d2a3802f8c16f12271858f788da12.JPGIMG_0772.thumb.JPG.9f529f644124bb6b57a6826485676f35.JPGIMG_0781.thumb.JPG.f4224fe3d4e83c1d3de80e8922030cdb.JPG

My tracker was doing that after replacing the rad. Upper hose was hot lower was cool. Pulled the tstat out and boiled it. Put it back in and it ran hot but not overheating. After running it around town for a day it's running cool as ever. It was also only overheating at higher speeds. I think it was just air locked.

Keep investigating.  Thought:  Yes, you need airflow, but you shouldn't be working the engine that hard unless you are at highway speeds or in bumper to bumper 40 degree heat. The fan should pull enough air to keep the engine cool under normal conditions if something isn't compromised.  

Can you drain the engine block?  Old sbc's (look sbc up) could get enough sediment in the water jackets to restrict flow. 

Just thoughts!

I don't think there's anything fancy like that to drain the block.

Removing the winch helped a LOT, so I'm going to attack this from 2, or maybe 3 directions....

1.Bought a new aluminum rad for a 92+ Civic - used for tuners, so should be good for the heat. https://www.amazon.ca/Mishimoto-MMRAD-CIV-92-Transmission-Performance-Aluminium/dp/B001EQ7S2C

2.I'd prefer to keep my winch setup TBH, so I'm going to cut and plate a slot in the bumper to allow air to go through the bumper under the winch plate.

3.Buy a set of silicone hoses, as a couple of mine are quite soft.

As you can see i did mark off the plate to cut the top off it, but that will be a last resort.

71Ns-+rLO2L._SL1500_.jpg

IMG_0793.JPG

Anxiety.............

How many rows deep? Total rows compared to the old one?

Flush the block as well as you can, and like you said, check that the hoses aren't collapsed/collapsing!

Good luck!

not thinking...my bottom mounts are on the frame, the top mount is on the body...oops :)

This might work better - angle bracket bolted to the original support bracket (frame side). Angle has 2 vertical bolts on the bottom side to stop it pivoting. I'll do the same on the other side.

IMG_0849.JPG

Got the rad finished today.

Welded up the bottom mounts and used 2 angle brackets to tie in the top of the rad to the original radiator mounts.

When to Kennys and bumped into Justin and Michael ...got a Civic radiator fan. But I didn't use it as it's way too deep by a couple of inches!

So, re-used the Kia Spectra fan and made two aluminum straps to mount fan to the rad mounts....no more zip ties LOL

I also had to extend the top hose as the inlet was further away.

Re-installed the winch and went for a test drive ...it ran perfectly...but the air is cold out there today, so the true test will come when it warms up again.

Oh, and I nearly launched my welder...******* wire feed problems. Seems I need the wand at a specific radius otherwise the wire gets jammed. (hence the nasty looking but-strong welds)

IMG_0849.JPG

IMG_0855.JPG

IMG_0850.thumb.JPG.af344be23a380a1d969f419b3b0e2ccb.JPG

IMG_0856.JPG

IMG_0857.JPG

IMG_0865.JPG

Archived