• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Snorkel airbox completed and installed. Made 2 snorkel mock-ups;

#1 - stubby cowl mount

#2 - external high mount

The more I think about it, #2 looks like a winner as it's requires the least amount of sheet metal cuts (notch the hood vs pipe into the cabin and out of the firewall) and keeps the head way up above any potential hood splash that could occur if mounted on the cowl.

DSC_7193.JPG

IMG_0500.JPG

Boo'ful!  And I've read that it is VERY noisy having an intake in the cabin.  (Well, at least on a high CFM V8 carb?, lol)  Possibly there could be some fumes, fire(?) safety issue with it in the cabin, especially during a back fire.  Oh wait, you're running EFI...............  Hmm.

4 minutes ago, sar4x4 said:

Now if I put an intake above the roof line on the Burb,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  It would not be something I'd really expect to use...........

If the Burb got stuck or quit under that much water, I'd need SCUBA gear to get it out..............

Actually I do need one.  I'm always scared of that 'bow wave' as well.  I stalled my Cherokee once in the water.  Pulled the plugs, etc and drove her home.

Couple weeks later, she suffered a catastrophic failure on the highway, rod out through the side of the block.........

So, now I'm inspired to do an ABS one! I like adding a new look to the truck every few years!  I also have several other 'quick' items in the works for this year.............

Can't wait for the weather to change.............

13 hours ago, jay said:

Ah yeah, lessons learned :) I put it on the passenger side too so the wipers don't pile snow onto it ;) 

I am so glad I read this!  What a shame if I had done it the other way around!  Hard enough just to clear my windshield with the height.

Then again it seldom sees snow...

Did you use intake cfm calculations to determine pipe size?  True radius bends? I wonder what size I need? Lol The intake 'tube' in my factory air cleaner is pretty small.  I will go next size up. Not that WOT is often for me.  And luckily my carb intake is already on the passenger side.

Dreams dreams, I'm still getting the house and garage set-up! lol 

No calculations, I just used the size of one of the intakes I had, which are probably for a 1.0 or 1.3. Also the snorkel top is off a 2.5 liter 49BHP tractor, so I'm most likely restricting it there too. I don't notice any difference in power.

I do want to try and get an intake top that enters on the opposite side so I can do away with all that extra pipe....hmm, I wonder if the current one will just spin around 180 degrees.??

Archived