• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

Thought I'd made a big mistake drilling out the slide on this carb.

With the larger hole, it runs beautifully, but all the top end was gone, so much that I was down to 3rd gear going up Fall River Road hill from Sobeys! :O

So I decided to JB Weld the hole and re-drill it. When I popped the cover off I saw that the diaphragm had folded up a little when I put the cover on. Luckily I didn't tear it!!

Now the diaphragm is good I tried it without fixing the hole, and it's back to 5th gear up the hill. I think I'm finally done tinkering with the fuel system. Idle is purring not lumpy, power is there.

I also took delivery of a master rebuild kit for the rear pinion from Rockauto. When I collected it, it had an additional CBSA charge of $31 :( I've contacted Rockauto to see what if anything can be done to get my money back.

This is a Sami kit, so I'm hoping it's the same for the Tracker. The bearing numbers match at least :)

IMG_20161102_125747.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started tearing down the axle to install the mater rebuild kit.
Removed brake lines, parking brake lines, backing plates, axles and finally the 3rd can be removed.

The rear axle on this Zuk has a 3rd from a Tracker with 5.13 gears. The case is aluminum, so I'll swap out the gears to the steel case off the yellow one that has 3.73 gears.
The 5.13 pinion has some wear, so I'll make sure the contact pattern is in the middle and away from the wear.

Current problem - pinion nut on the steel diff is on tight. My impact or breaker wont shift it.

DSC_6519.JPG

DSC_6516.JPG

DSC_6515.JPG

DSC_6492.JPG

DSC_6494.JPG

DSC_6495.JPG

DSC_6498.JPG

DSC_6508.JPG

Well I tried again to get the nut off...with heat..more heat, and the old nut is off :)

Started to breakdown the steel housing ready for the new bearings.

One of the old bearings had completely separated itself...maybe that was my noise.

Noticed the seal is totally different to both of the old seals. The inner and outer diameter is identical. I guess they just redesigned it.....maybe.

DSC_6522.JPG

DSC_6526.JPG

DSC_6529.JPG

DSC_6533.JPG

Looks good :)   

A little trick my grandfather showed me for races is to take your old race and weld a bead full circle on the inside of it    it shrinks it just enough that it'll slide in and out easy so you can use it as a driver that'll be exactly the right size.  also helps for gettingthem out if they are being stubborn.

22 minutes ago, Brunet-Hemi said:

Looks good :)   

A little trick my grandfather showed me for races is to take your old race and weld a bead full circle on the inside of it    it shrinks it just enough that it'll slide in and out easy so you can use it as a driver that'll be exactly the right size.  also helps for gettingthem out if they are being stubborn.

Smart man you grandfather is, I'll have to bank that one

Diff is done and road tested. I repacked the wheel bearings whilst I was there. One side needs replacing as it's pretty worn.....but it's a miserable job, so it'll have to wait ;)

My front caliper had seized. I'd previously serviced the sliders, but that didn't help.

Took the piston out and found some rust. So that got polished out and she's all good :)

DSC_6563.JPG

DSC_6566.JPG

DSC_6571.JPG

DSC_6572.JPG

DSC_6574.JPG

DSC_6575.JPG

DSC_6576.JPG

DSC_6577.JPG

DSC_6578.JPG

Started to make a snorkel.

I prefer the neat stealthy look without all the exposed pipework. I was looking at something off the shelf, but they have the pipe running down the outside of the fender, which I don't like , and isn't cheap either.

So, here's the plan - hard to tell from the mock up, but the flex pipe will disappear down into the cowl for that neat look like the one in the photo.

For the head....I'm not sure yet, but I might make one - I have some ideas.

IMG_20161114_200343.jpg

1479095299120-853309585.jpg

Well I thought I'd nailed the carb problems by drilling out the float....nope LOL :)

I took Lewis to the acupuncturist today, and the idle was all over the place...2000 for a few minutes, then sometimes 1000, sometimes stalling out, then to 3K for a while....consistently wrong for 10 minutes or so, but never consistently one or the other. Power delivery is fine tho.

Yes I know...TBI !! ;):)

So before I bought Chad's old rig, I bought a 1978 Toyota Corrola 4k carb, since they are supposed to be mostly bolt on.

I now have a complete TBI in Chads old rig - which is super impressive BTW : ) Despite that, I've still paid for the Toy carb, so I'm still going to move forward with the Toy carb, just to see how it runs.

....the TBI is a fall back  - you know it's coming LOL :)

Toy Carb might be here in the next couple/few weeks.

I must have damaged an oil seal when I re-fitted my axles, as the garage floor is covered in axle oil LOL

Thinking I was going to have problems getting axle seals, I was surprised Carquest had 2 on the shelf for $5 each...so I went crazy and splurged and bought them both :)

IMG_20161125_125322407.jpg

On the trail clearing day I almost had to bail as we got the the trail head it felt like it was running super rich, bogging out running pooly.

We parked up to go see the trapper shack. When we came back, it fired up and ran great for the rest of the day.

It did use a whole tank of gas tho :O

So, I've made the decision to try the TBI setup.

I've got all I need except a high pressure fuel pump, so an inline pump (E2000) is on order. That way I don't have to mess about with trying to get the Sidekick pump in Sami tank...they're not interchangeable.

Ugly-*** Sidekick TBI is out, ready for a clean and installation into the Zuk.

DSC_6731.JPG

DSC_6732.JPG

Chipping away at Thing 2.

The Suzuki half of the front clip was tacked on, so that came off easy.

10 mile exhaust is out. I'm gonna need to use the manifold, or try and get the O2 sensor out to re-use it. Any tips to removing them - I've had heat on it, but no joy.

I've almost got the motor unbolted, but ran out of time to lift it out.

DSC_6734.JPG

DSC_6735.JPG

DSC_6739.JPG

DSC_6740.JPG

DSC_6742.JPG

DSC_6743.JPG

DSC_6744.JPG

Archived