• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got half way to the tank being in. My light took a hit with some molten weld, so it was game over for the night. And when ur a big sweaty, this humidity is brutal on your safety glasses and weld mask !

2 steel mounts are tacked in. The cable ties are not staying, and the tank it's in great shape....but it'll do until I can afford then nice (but horribly expensive) Petroworks polyethylene tank with built in skid plate :)

IMG_20160906_195324.jpg

3 hours ago, jay said:

Painted it!

Long term plan for the X was Olive drab....well I thought a little on the Zuk would pay homage to that :) 

Got all but 1 gas tank mount rebuilt and reinstalled. #4 is too short, so I'm making a new one.....

IMG_20160907_195008.jpg

IMG_20160907_212501.jpg

IMG_20160907_213619.jpg

IMG_20160907_212515.jpg

Lookin good!!

Made it to coffee night at Bayer's.  Admittedly it broke down after a couple of kms from home....no fuel in the filter. So I immediately pulled the fuel lines and removed the airlock.

I took it for a test drive before continuing on to Bayers with the gas cap off. No more problems.

Weirdly there's no whoosh when the cap is removed, but I guess with only a few psi on the pump, it wouldn't take much to stop the flow.

Made it to Bayer's and back with no gas cap without any more breakdowns.

Now to get the proper gas tank finished as no gas cap makes for a miserable ride! :)

16 hours ago, jay said:

Made it to coffee night at Bayer's.  Admittedly it broke down after a couple of kms from home....no fuel in the filter. So I immediately pulled the fuel lines and removed the airlock.

I took it for a test drive before continuing on to Bayers with the gas cap off. No more problems.

Weirdly there's no whoosh when the cap is removed, but I guess with only a few psi on the pump, it wouldn't take much to stop the flow.

Made it to Bayer's and back with no gas cap without any more breakdowns.

Now to get the proper gas tank finished as no gas cap makes for a miserable ride! :)

Return line?  Vented vs. non-vented gas cap?  Older autos have vented gas caps, newer autos do not. All about emission controls.

Had a nice surprise in the mailbox - a genuine Hungarian 4WD shift knob...for C$10. I can see eBay is gonna be my new best friend (again)

Also finished the gas tank plumbing - it needed a new vent hose.

And, installed a bit of exhaust pipe to the end of the Cherry Bomb in order to get it away from my seat. The pipe I had was just a lil' too short but it'll do...I've no had that problem before ROFL :)

IMG_20160909_204745.jpg

IMG_20160909_204729.jpg

IMG_20160909_204715.jpg

Also. Bought an EL34 flasher that is LED compatible, as my flasher was just screaming/buzzing and had no hazards. Now I have hazards and flashers relay click, but no light coming off just the turn signal filaments. I'm guessing you can't mix LED with filament with these flashers. That problem can wait for another day...maybe upgrade the reds to LED.

Regular filament takes time to warm up and emit light!  The older flashers didn't like too many changes, like adding a trailer.  Then you had to switch to an electronic flasher.  You probably have an electronic one, I suspect the old ones are hard to come by. But how the conventional electronic ones handle LED, I know nothing.

All lights and flashers are working now :)

Took it out for my 1st time today with Dave on a pre-run for Ryan's charity run that's happening tomorrow in Refrew.

Fuel pump died in Fall River just as we were setting off. Switched it out for another one and spent some time dialing it all back in.

Gas tank mounts survived the day, and the Zuk wheeled really nice....did most of bone dry Renfrew in 2WD :)

Just as I was telling somebody how I hate mud....I found some LOL!

Had a little scare just as I was getting back to the Big Stop - I was aired down to 15PSI  on the road and got some crazy death wobble. ...lesson learned - air up!! :)

And I've got an oil leak from the bell housing...presumably from the noisy whirry whiny transmission.

And finally....I really have to do something about the exhaust as I spent all day breathing in fumes from it. I think I really needs to exit past the bumper and not under the wheel arch.

IMG_20160910_165614.jpg

IMG_20160910_165300.jpg

IMG_20160910_151315.jpg

IMG_20160910_151303.jpg

IMG_20160910_144317.jpg

IMG_20160910_144208.jpg

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎10 at 7:52 PM, jay said:

And finally....I really have to do something about the exhaust as I spent all day breathing in fumes from it. I think I really needs to exit past the bumper and not under the wheel arch.

I used to breathe fumes in the Scout as well.  Tailpipe(s) were barely under the rear quarter panels.  One further than the other.  Extended them both 2-3 inches out past the bottom of the panel and all good!  And painted them black for good measure.

Thanks, I'll try extending it :)

I found the passenger front wheel has a fair amount of play when I grab the top of the wheel. That could explain the death wobble and 2-pump brakes.

Also, during rock-gaurding i found a 2 inch sq. of rust behind the front wheel, where water would spray onto the bottom of the rockers. I poked at it and it produced a hole into the to rocker.

Gonna need to deal with that hole with some new sheet metal ASAP.

Archived