• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

6 minutes ago, jay said:

Thank you sir! It's what I was looking for, and is gonna get a lot of love.

One thing I might change IF I can find the parts, is the welded up rear.....we'll just see how long the tires last LOL

Thinking about it....I wonder if the spider gears in the yellow one would work...hmmmm

Needs toy axles :P

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jay, I know a source for some Zuk stuff.  PM any particular piece and I'll check if it's available.  And this guy says he's never broke a Zuk axle.

I'll tell ya about his rig sometime.  Ya wouldn't believe it..............

License plate lights; first I installed some fancy pants bolt LED lights from Amazon. They only lasted 10 minutes before they burnt out. Shame because they were really nice. So I resorted to ol'school technology and installed a boring old filament lamp instead. Not as bright, but hopefully just as legal.

Also took some shots of underneath of the Zuk :)

IMG_20160826_121518.jpg

DSC_5940.JPG

IMHO don't be any hurry to SOA.  Subjectively I don't think they look good.  Objectively you can run into steering linkage issues, brake line issues, pinion angle issues, crooked axle issues, and sway issues, all leading to poor handling, dangerous Death Wobble and other steering issues.  Just my thoughts!  You haven't been wheelin' in a while, have some fun first!

As far as rust protection, everyone has their favourite.  I know I can't keep mine from rusting, except where it flings ATF from the transfer case!  A rust killer like POR15 or other simple spray on stuff before you paint might be good.  And cleaning wet mud off a couple times a year might help. ;-)

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

IMHO don't be any hurry to SOA.  Subjectively I don't think they look good.  Objectively you can run into steering linkage issues, brake line issues, pinion angle issues, crooked axle issues, and sway issues, all leading to poor handling, dangerous Death Wobble and other steering issues.  Just my thoughts!  You haven't been wheelin' in a while, have some fun first!

And don't forget driveshaft and shock mounting issues.  On my. lol

1 hour ago, sar4x4 said:

As far as rust protection, everyone has their favourite.  I know I can't keep mine from rusting, except where it flings ATF from the transfer case!  A rust killer like POR15 or other simple spray on stuff before you paint might be good.  And cleaning wet mud off a couple times a year might help. ;-)

I'll be obsessively cleaning mud/dirt off it this time :)

The tire wear with welded diff, if u want you can come see the tires that have been on that rig for the last 6 years, no real wear difference from front to back  to speak of , and if it were me, id stay spring under, factory steering, tons and tons of flex and nice ride from the yj springs.

Transfer case is next. I've got a leak on the output rear.

Also chasing down a noise I think that noise is the TX case (same as the youtube video somebody else posted).

So, I got a seal, but then realized I've got a spare just in case the bearing is burnt out....which I'm thinking it is, since I dont know how long it's been leaking.

Yellow t-case is out.

Grey t-case is not low on oil.

I also just read it could be low on gearbox oil...gonna look at that also.

Spilled some Claret when I was pulling on a pipe extension, and it let go...that made a mess and I saw stars for a few minutes. I'm ok LOL.

IMG_20160830_132409.jpg

IMG_20160830_132403.jpg

IMG_20160830_105926.jpg

Pulled the tcase ebrake in order to replace the old leaky output shaft seal. Called around to get new shoes. Seems nobody lists this setup, so I'm not able to get new shoes.

I'm gonna use parts off the yellow one to convert to ebrake to use the rear drums. The backing plates are from that setup, so I should just need to find cables, since the yellow ones are no good.

Also found a bad u-joint on the rear driveshaft.

IMG_20160831_125700.jpg

Archived