• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After a bit of struggling with rusted and hard to reach bolts, and grinding down a 12mm socket to fit, I finally got the injected intake manifold off :)

Removed the clutch off the good motor to find it's in pretty good shape, so I'll keep it as a spare.

Throw-out bearing only had a few balls left in it LOL

Now, how to get the pilot bearing out without a puller ? - I've tried the fill it with grease trick.

IMG_20160805_000820.jpg

Ive never had luck with the grease trick but the paper towel and water trick works it just takes longer. Take small strips of papertowel. wet them in a bowl of water, ball them up and stick them in the bearing hole. When it gets full take a 1/4" socket extension and tap the balls of papertowel till they're flat, You gotta keep doing thatfor a bit but It will come out eventually

1 hour ago, 82Yota said:

Ive never had luck with the grease trick but the paper towel and water trick works it just takes longer. Take small strips of papertowel. wet them in a bowl of water, ball them up and stick them in the bearing hole. When it gets full take a 1/4" socket extension and tap the balls of papertowel till they're flat, You gotta keep doing thatfor a bit but It will come out eventually

Never heard of that. Always just used grease, to take both types of pilots out, roller and bushing, also took the pilot slugs out the same way.

1 minute ago, jay said:

Yeah I noticed that.

I'm gonna see what condition the other one is.

Probably not much better, I know who owned it and drove it .

My ford flywheel was only $100 new and had it next day, but when I ordered new one for 351 I had to wait for a couple days and still $100. You can have it resurfaced at Nova, not sure on there wait time but but should have a quick turnaround

2 hours ago, 82Yota said:

I would still have it machined. You have a new clutch and pressure plate, might as well turn the flywheel so everything is on the same page.

I don't know about that stuff but that sure sounds right, match 'em up.  Shame to ruin a good clutch/plate and have to take it all apart again....

4 hours ago, jay said:

I'm guessing plowing does that to a clutch.

The other flywheel is still shiny, with only a few little dark spots. I'll swap 'em over.

Dark spots are hardened spots anf will lead to shuddering and also higher than the rest of the surface so contact will be unEven. Y scrimp now when everything else is new. Yep, Nova is fast or price one up, like I said mine was only $100 and had it the next day.

1 hour ago, jay said:

Fittrd an new crankshaft oil seal, timing belt and idle.

Gonna have make a tool to torque up the crankshaft bolt to 95lbs

Flywheel next.

To keep it from spinning? Just remove a plug and stick a length of rope in the cylinder so it only compresses so much. Works for the flywheel too. just make sure to tie a knit in the end or you're gonna spend a day fishing out the rope haha

1 hour ago, jay said:

Fittrd an new crankshaft oil seal, timing belt and idle.

Gonna have make a tool to torque up the crankshaft bolt to 95lbs

Flywheel next.

Put a couple flywheel bolts in, install a bell housing bolt, slide prybar between flywheel bolts and let rest on Bell housing bolt. Now torque front crank bolt

Archived