• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Zuk is using stock Monroe shocks, which are very short and are bottoming out since the axle flip, due to the shock mount moving from the bottom of the axle to the top.

The photo shows the shock fully extended at ride height...so not much flex!

Also the shocks are bad.

So time to make a new shock mount relocated to the bottom of the axle. This will allow for longer shocks, which should give more travel.

The plan is to use a spring perch I had knocking around in the garage, cut one side off, cut that side in half, sandwich a bolt between them and weld it all to the bottom of the axle.

...just need a longer bolt.

IMG_20181125_221512.jpg

IMG_20181125_221543.jpg

'fab' work done, but I'm not happy with it as there's next to no room to squeeze a fatter shock past the gas tank, so had to compromise until I can figure out how to relocate the shocks to the front of the axle.

Been struggling for some time with my e-fan setup. The fan is switched with an adjustable thermostat connected to a relay. This is my 2nd thermo switch, and this one intermittently does not switch until I touch the adjuster. Probably due to dust and moisture in the windings of the potentiometer.

So hopefully replacing the adjustable thermostat with this non-adjustable switch will fix it once and for all.

IMG_20181203_164946.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Started installing my Yukon mini spool, only to find the front Tracker 5.13 diff is 2 pin carrier, and the spool wont squeeze into the housing.

I have a spare Samurai rear 4 pin carrier which has a removable 'lid' to allow for the spool installation, but the 4 pin carrier ring gears are deeper and have smaller inner diameter to keep the cross pins in place.

I came across this issue before, and found a good write up...seems I need a 'can and spacer'.

" Install Sammy 4pin carrier into Tracker 3rd.
**** Must use the Can or tack weld the 4-pins as the Kick ring gear will not hold them securely on the Sammy 4-pin carrier.
**** Must use the Ring gear spacer on the Sammy carrier OR you will be required max the carrier ring gear back lash adjustment to one side creating unequal axle spline engagement right to left (In the side gear).  
**** Kick and tracker thirds can be set up this way on the cheap (free).  And Justin my Guinea pig hasn't broken them yet.   "

IMG_20181222_180712.jpg

yes, US$25 - I have them coming.

IDK if you recal, but I started to fozi lock this 4 pin carrier a while back but didnt end up using it. To do that, I used a tomato can to keep the pins in place, but didn't have the spacer for proper alignment.

Right now I'd rather not redneck it this time LOL

I don’t remember the fozzi lock.  However I do like the idea of doing it well/right/properly.  I usually regretted it when I didn’t, and the things I did properly have held up for the 20+ years i’ve been running the Burb!  And I try to do things properly on the Scout as well.  So far, so good!  

Although doing things right can take time.  And have them only partially complete / usually uninstalled for up to years....  Lol

• 4 weeks later...

6 week old alternator is only pushing out 12v and It'll run without being connected to the battery. Need to do some troubleshooting,  check cables grounds etc.

When I installed this replacement it was originally showing 15v. Maybe I just got a dud. But it also seems odd that this isn't the 1st time with a charging issue.

So I'll likely be wheeling on the alternator on Saturday unless I can get a replacement or maybe install a Suzuki alternator from my junk pile lol.

Ouch.  Good luck solving the issue!  I’m on the fence about attending tomorrow and catching a ride with someone.  Trying to help my bro get some stuff moved in the yard here before the snow really flies.  Sorting some small logistical around that.  Cheers!

Previously bought a replacement door mirror which I broke on Drill Road by sliding into a tree. Fitted the new mirror, only to break the wafer thin glass on a tiny branch *sigh*

On the lookout for some more foldable/sturdy Jeep/ATV/bicycle mirrors...and not some on 10 inch stalks

• 3 weeks later...
On the monthly run through Bump & Grind, I finally got tired of the 'Strong Arm' steering.

So, time to install the Tracker power steering that's been sat on the bench 😉

Used most of the parts previously removed from the Yellow Sami that had a Tracker setup with a Chevy pump.

Used a Tracker pump, so had to make an extension bracket to move the pump from it's 'yellow circled' location up and away from the steering shaft.

Having a spare engine to use for the template and measurements was a huge help.

20190217_120854.jpg

20190217_125345.jpg

20190217_135622.jpg

20190217_142513.jpg

20190217_142547.jpg

20190217_171603.jpg

20190217_172432.jpg

20190217_173207.jpg

20190217_212451.jpg

20190217_212510.jpg

Good for you!  I can't imagine driving w/o ps.  Although I did on something or other back in the late '70s...……….  Although I have to do some minor finagling to convert the Burb to cross-over steering.  On the list!  Been working slow but steady on the Scout lately.  I'll post pics someday!

I'm on a mission to make the Zuk more comfortable because it's killing my back and shoulders, and the lack of comfort is making me look for something else, which is not really an option.

I'm going on another seat hunt after the steeringis done...maybe try late Neon seats next.

Yeah, I need high back seats / or somehow add headrests for the Burb, although they have never bothered me.  But if I get rear ended, I could have serious whiplash. 

And the Scout, the seats have too much rearward rake to them.  Not sure if they are factory or not.

Kenny U-pull is going to get a visit this summer!

I've sat in a LOT of seats at Kenny's, and older Grand Prix (Grand AM?) seats were my favorite that would fit in the narrow Zuk.

There is a retailer in the US selling rebranded Town And Country seats for Samis, which are really neat because they are narrow and fold forward completely flat...but not much for side support, which is what I need.

Archived