• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jay said:
I bought a gas tank to replace the dented up, rusty, leaking tank.
Before I install the tank, I definitely need a gas tank skid as my current tank has taken a severe beating by me landing on it and scraping it over rocks!
I have an oem skid, but it's thin and rotten.
I can't justify $400 to buy a pre-made skid, so I bought $50 of 3/16 sheet and flat stock, and I plan on copying an existing commercial design.

20171211_130325.jpg

gastankskid_1.jpg

With a grinder and a welder, you'll save yourself $325, allowing for $25 in electricity, welding electrodes, cutting discs, acetylene, and paint!

At least part sides.  Dave and I were reminiscing on Saturday about when I slid sideways and drove something through the side of my gas tank.  My skid is only for skidding forward and backwards, not sideways!

Possibly drill more smaller holes, and fewer bigger holes.  Else something might poke up through a hole! I have about 3 1" diameter holes, iirc.

If you put sides on the skid plate, don't put them right to the bottom plate.  Again allowing for drainage!

I flush water across the top of my bottom plate once in a while, to keep from holding moist dirt against the tank and rusting it out.

Just some thoughts!

• 3 weeks later...

After struggling with audio send and receive issues with my old Uniden PRO505XL that I accidentally power washed, I spent some Christmas Amazon vouchers on a new CB.

I poured over the reviews for the awesome Cobra 29's and a few other well known models. I was almost about to go all-in on a SSB rig, but I decided I'd never use those sideband features. I decided to go with the Uniden PRO520XL, as its an inexpensive, super robust package, has a small footprint and a couple of extra features my 505 didn't have, like ANL (Auto Noise Limiter) and RF Gain.

So far I'm really pleased with it.....

• 3 months later...

Got around to making some progress on the gas tank skid.

I just need to finish painting it, and paint the tank. Then there'll be a couple of fitment issues I'm sure....it's pretty close to a rear shock, so a little grinding may be required.

Before I fit it, I'll need to replace a rear brake hard line, as it got trapped between the axle housing and the frame...it's squished flat LOL.

20180415_182100.jpg

20180415_192823.jpg

I have 2 concerns with it;

1. I hope the shitty mounting brackets hold up to the extra weight

2. the ebrake 'T' is tight up against the skid and axle. I might have to shave it a little - I'm going to disconnect it for now...I doesn't do much anyways lol

Had an electrical issue on the club run - the relay powering the ECM and other 'key 'on' accessories melted!

I'd noticed the battery voltage was running 14v, then a solid 12v for a while, then back up to 14v. So I stripped all of the accessories out of the Zuk and found a wire that had some conductor showing near the firewall. I think that was most likely the source of the power draw.

Also, started prepping the Zuk for sale.

1 hour ago, jay said:

Had an electrical issue on the club run - the relay powering the ECM and other 'key 'on' accessories melted!

I'd noticed the battery voltage was running 14v, then a solid 12v for a while, then back up to 14v. So I stripped all of the accessories out of the Zuk and found a wire that had some conductor showing near the firewall. I think that was most likely the source of the power draw.

Also, started prepping the Zuk for sale.

Getting something else or getting out ?

And just for the fun of it price ?

17 hours ago, Lil'monster said:

Getting something else or getting out ?

And just for the fun of it price ?

Not getting out. I don't need something as crazy capable as the Zuk, but I do need something that's more old-man-back friendly, bigger with an auto. Looking at pre-90's trucks.

Shooting for $4000, or $3500 without the tires.

Archived