• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

Gas tank update. DO NOT TRY WHAT I'M ABOUT TO TELL YOU!

My tank is currently leaking on the garage floor. I knew it was just a matter of time before I would be looking to replace it.

I can get a new one to my door from RockAuto for $220 all in, so I'll probably do that.

However, I revisited my 'spare' which is pretty gnarly inside the tank, and after some research, I went and put some muriatic acid in it. (diluted hydrocloric acid)

DO NOT TRY WHAT I'M ABOUT TO TELL YOU! MURIATIC ACID IS EVIL STUFF. AS SOON AS YOU TAKE THE LID OFF, YOU CAN QUICKLY SEE THE ACID FUMES VAPOURIZING INTO A MIST AND A SLIGHT SNIFF OF IT IS TOXIC!

After diluting a $6 1L bottle, to half a tank, and leaving it to soak overnight OUTSIDE, it looks like this.

The completely rusted out bracket next to the bottle was soaked in pure acid for 10 minutes.

I'll leave the tank to soak for a few days and maybe buy a 4L jug and make a stronger solution.

20171024_090746.jpg

20171024_090628.jpg

20171024_090651.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Muratic acid will remove the galvanized coating on the tank( well what's left of it) it will be bare untreated steel unless you get the tank lined. I have done this exact route you are going, and then after a few years the lining breaks down clogging lines and filters. I'd recommend just getting new tank, paint the outside and be done with it.

• 2 weeks later...
The windshield on these Suzuki's are made of steel thinner than a pop-can, and are prone to rust, weakening and cracking around the wiper blade outlets as the wipers move and flex out the pop-can steel..
All 3 windshield of mine are bad.

Last year I temporarily covered up the holes in the windshield frame with duct tape to stop the water getting into the cab, and get me on the road whilst I worked on other things. It worked!

After leaving it out in the recent heavy rain, I quickly realized the fuse box and ECM had gotten wet from the multiple leaks, so it's time to deal with it.

Knowing I would not be able to weld to the windshield frame with the setup I have, I opted for rust treatment rather than repair.

I removed all of the surface rust the best I could, and filled the holes.

To fix the wiper issue, I made a plate to brace the wiper and after applying copious amounts of RTF to the back of the plate, I attached it to the windshield frame.

I might try and find some grey paint, but hopefully that will last for some time!

20171125_140725.jpg

20171125_140743.jpg

20171125_171146.jpg

20171125_171200.jpg

20171125_171215.jpg

20171126_115056.jpg

20171126_115117.jpg

Half way home from coffee night I lost ALL water. I made it home to a hot, dieseling motor.
Hoping for the best, I replaced the split pipe with some thicker wall F-150 scrap pipe and filled it up. 

Zuk started right up :)

'Magic Wrap' is now in my essential 'tool kit' :)

20171202_092747.jpg

20171202_094740.jpg

Took an impromptu tour with the Pirates last Saturday threw Renfrew.

Whilst having some fun in an ATV sized mud hole, I flopped the Zuk over onto a tree and took out my snorkel. Windshield frame took a dent. So, I've removed the snorkel for now whilst I re-think it's location.

On the run I took a puddle too quickly and had an engine misfire under load for the remainder of the day due to a wet plug hole on the dizzy.

My CB wasn't working very well either, so the Wilson 500 antenna is back on at the front this time, which I kinda like.
I'll be getting the testing in at coffee night :)

20171207_145023.jpg

I bought a gas tank to replace the dented up, rusty, leaking tank.
Before I install the tank, I definitely need a gas tank skid as my current tank has taken a severe beating by me landing on it and scraping it over rocks!
I have an oem skid, but it's thin and rotten.
I can't justify $400 to buy a pre-made skid, so I bought $50 of 3/16 sheet and flat stock, and I plan on copying an existing commercial design.

20171211_130325.jpg

gastankskid_1.jpg

Archived