• Welcome, Guest!

Welcome to Backcountry 4x4's online community! Consider creating a free account to take part in our discussions, share photos / videos, and start "web wheeling" with us!

Zuk

SQRLPWR

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Been looking for a solution for an additional gas can. I have a Jerry can in the Zuk, but it tends to fill the 'cab' with fumes. Since the rear of the Zuk has limited real estate, I ended up buying a Daystar Cam Can to fit in the tire carrier.

These Cam Cans are ridiculously expensive in Canada, but luckily for me, somebody in Action Truck Dartmouth missed of the 'hundreds' digit off the price tag, so I go it for the 2 digit ticket price. They were pissed, but cool about it too :)

So the Cam Can...they don't actually SELL the red gas can as the manufacturer Blitz Corp has some liability issues with them and Daystar pulled them from the line up http://www.daystarweb.com/news/red_fuel_cans.html

However, I'm using the black one for gas. I know there's a risk of getting rear-ended etc...but the risk is there with a red one or a regular tailgate Jerry can too. I've also been baking it in the 29*C sun with gas, and there's no problems with gas fume expansion.

20170822_085019.jpg

Temp in the shade here today is 31.5*C, and I deliberately sat it in the direct sun all morning and all afternoon, and it's hardly expanded at all. I think it's good :)

I read less liquid = more vapour = more expansion/contraction. So I filled it to the top as much as I could.

On the way to the Summer Event, 20 minutes into 90KMH highway drive on the 101, the Zuk had no noises, rattles , then it felt like it was turned off, lost all power, then boom. Rear ujoint blown. 

So driveshaft was removed and I crawled off at exit 3 and on to Weir Field to repair the shaft. 

Got it all back together, then i realized when trying to use the left side of the tcase, 4H or 2H, the gears felt seized. 

So I put it in 4L and crawled my way home.

Tcase is appart, it had oil, nothing is broken. Bearings are ok. One shaft has a very minor wiggle.

When I shift the fork, it seems to get jammed. IDK if that's expected?

20170825_175143.jpg

20170825_181034.jpg

20170827_120703.jpg

20170827_113320.jpg

tcase is in and it seems ok, but I have another familiar noise in the rear axle...

tore the 3rd out and found the problem. ...the tcase seizing froze the pinion against the ring, and the pinion has a nice flat spot on it where all the teeth are missing. now I know why when the driveshaft stopped dead at 4K rpm, the zuk didn't skid and eventually blew the ujoint!

On the hunt for a 3rd or a full set of Yotas

48 minutes ago, jay said:

tcase is in and it seems ok, but I have another familiar noise in the rear axle...

tore the 3rd out and found the problem. ...the tcase seizing froze the pinion against the ring, and the pinion has a nice flat spot on it where all the teeth are missing. now I know why when the driveshaft stopped dead at 4K rpm, the zuk didn't skid and eventually blew the ujoint!

On the hunt for a 3rd or a full set of Yotas

Lol, sounds like you are having the same luck as me , everything getting replaced until complete axle swap haha, that's where I am now, swapping axle types

On 8/27/2017 at 0:48 PM, jay said:

On the way to the Summer Event, 20 minutes into 90KMH highway drive on the 101, the Zuk had no noises, rattles , then it felt like it was turned off, lost all power, then boom. Rear ujoint blown. 

So driveshaft was removed and I crawled off at exit 3 and on to Weir Field to repair the shaft. 

Got it all back together, then i realized when trying to use the left side of the tcase, 4H or 2H, the gears felt seized. 

So I put it in 4L and crawled my way home.

Tcase is appart, it had oil, nothing is broken. Bearings are ok. One shaft has a very minor wiggle.

When I shift the fork, it seems to get jammed. IDK if that's expected?

When this happens again, carry a long flat screwdriver, pull snap ring off t-case shifter rubber boot, then remove boot, remove shifter retainer by pushing down and rotating it, remove shifter, then look at the gates for the shifter, you will see they are misaligned, pry and shift back with long heavy screwdriver, reassemble and continue. It is worn or missing bushing causing this.

32 minutes ago, Powerram said:

Lol, sounds like you are having the same luck as me , everything getting replaced until complete axle swap haha, that's where I am now, swapping axle types

I KNOW!! just as everything was running smoothly, no bugs, no rattles, no whines, wheeling was great....followed by an unexpected kick in the gonads LOL

Dave kindly gave up a 3rd, so I'm gonna throw that in open and have some fun with it.

The high side of that tcase is seized onto the shaft so I'm still looking for a tcase. I have a lead on one to get me going in the short term. Then I'll be ordering a rebuild kit.

For no reason I decided to change my bumper mag mount whip, to a tire carrier mounted fiberglass antenna. The antenna is 3ft, and I made the bracket so it juuuuust fits under the garage door lol.

Next will be drivetrain reassembly.

20170902_165103.jpg

20170902_165107.jpg

20170902_165113.jpg

20170902_165207.jpg

Archived